In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

223 wssm? thinking of trading

joesjoes Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
I am thinking of trading .270 or 300 wsm for a 223wssm. This gun will be nothing more than just another caliber to load and shoot from a bench. What are your thoughts before I begin the search? thanks, joe.

Comments

• temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you plan on shooting alot of rounds you may want to consider length of bbl life with the 223 wssm.
    FWIW to you, the latest Hornady reloading manual says in the forward section for this round that while working up data for the 223wssm that when inspected with a bore scope their test gun showed significant throat errosion after only 350 rounds. -- Food for thought.
    I personally wouldn't trade a good 270 or a 300wsm for one. I'd just go with a 6mm bore gun. Just my .02 cents.
  • Gunslinger2005Gunslinger2005 Member Posts: 282 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check out the WSSM Zone http://www.wssmzone.com/forum/default.asp
    There's alot of good information there from shooters who have them.
  • deadeye46deadeye46 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had a wssm,traded it and I am stickin' with my 22-250,just my thoughts on this one.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    joes,

If you are limiting yourself to a given number of rifles I would, personally go with another less erosive caliber on barrels. 6mm BR or PPC are two well proven calibers for what you want to do.

Now, if you are talking like some guys who like to set up a portable bench to shoot varmints you may be talking a different story. I would still choose to shoot something a little less erosive on a barrel. Although, both the .220 Swift and the .22-250 have reputations as barrel burners. You need to let the barrel cool off between shots.

If you are set on the .223 WSSM I would think about getting a coyote or coyote lite(the latter would be my preference but good luck finding one). That's my $.02