In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.308 Silver Tips / loads for .308 in M88

savage204savage204 Member Posts: 72 ✭✭
Hey guys, I just bought a Winchester 88 in .308 and I'm gonna reload for it and would like to find some Winchester silvertip points in 180 grain to load for it. Anybody got any laying around? I was told that years ago they use to make them. Anybody got any ideas?

(Moving thread to Reloading - Iconoclast)

Comments

• Options
    pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    from my experience with them they aren't worth there weight in gold like some people think ! I load for every gun a specific load that works for it which can take some time to find then that's it & it works perfect 99.99% of the time.
    just because you could doesn't mean you should
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info Pip. I've done that in the past with my other rifles. A friend of mine has a Win. 88 and thats the bullet he uses and said it works great,,so I thought if I could get some bullets I could work up a load for my rifle. What bullet do you recommend for medium and large game in the U.S.?
  • Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are lots of great bullets to choose from these days.
    I would personally go to a lighter bullet in the 308 Win. unless you are hunting primarily large game at relativly close distances. You give up alot of velocity and some trajectory in the 308 win with bullets that heavy in a hunting gun.
    The type of bullet really depends on what type game you're hunting if it's worth going with premium bullets.
    For the most part, standard velocity cartridges (under 3000fps, non magnum ) work fine with regular old cup & core bullets because they don't expand as quickly as when used in a magnum/high velocity cartridge, which allows them to penetrate deeper on game. Just depends on what you are shooting at, and if you want a single "go to" load to use on everything or want different loads for different types and size game.
    I wouldn't worry about finding any old Silver Tips. There are lots of better bullets out there these days.
    What are you planning on hunting, and what do you call "large game" ? At what usual distances ?
    I call large Elk size and up large, and what works good on them may not expand well on deer, etc.
    Just trying to get an idea of what you want. There are lots of bullet/powder combinations that work well in the 308 win.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I expect to use it for deer and elk,,, but if I should load a different round for each, then I will. What do you suggest I use for each animal? Any suggestions will be most helpful. Thanks in advance for any help,,,,
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Barnes produces a Triple Shock-X bullet in

130 Grain BT
    150 Grain BT
    165 Grain BT
    168 Grain BT
    180 Grain BT - good, all purpose hunting bullet
    200 Grain

Nosler makes a Partition bullet in these sizes
    150 Grain Spitzer
    165 Grain Spitzer
    170 Grain Round Nose
    180 Grain Spitzer
    180 Grain Protected Point
    200 Grain Spitzer
    220 Grain Semi-Spitzer
    They also produce Accubond bullets

If money isn't an issue, Swift makes some great hunting bullets, but they're pretty salty
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Savage
    I shoot a Mod 70 in 308 and would use it for almost anything. 150gr Barnes TSX has really been a great bullet in both my mod 70 and in several other 30 cals I load for. This year I am loading a 300 Win Mag with 180 gr TSX for my Father-in-Law to go elk hunting with. His back up gun... Winchester mod 100 in 308 with the same load I use!
    If you prefer a lead core bullet try a Speer Grand Slam. Sierra also makes good bullets. Other down the line have made large improvements in bullet design in the last 5-10 years. I for one and not a fan of Nosler bullets. Had bad luck with them 15 years ago and will never again use them. That being said I hear good things about some of their newer designs.
  • Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IF you want one bullet for both deer & elk a 165gr Nosler partition would be a pretty good choice. They will expand at high or low velocity and close or far range, and will work on deer or elk.
    I have good luck with this bullet, a Winchester case, Federal 210M primer and either RL15 or H. Varget powder. These two powders will usually get around an extra 75-100fps velocity over most other commonly used powders in the 308 Win.
    The 165gr Nosler and RL15 powder loads good for me in a few different rifles between 43.0 grs and 44.0 grs (maximum load in Noslers manual) and the components mentioned above.
    The 165gr Nosler and Hodgdon Varget loads well in the same guns between 44.0 grs and 46.0 grs (maximum in Noslers manual) and the components mentioned above.
    Both of these load ranges clock between 2700fps and a little over 2800fps out of my 24" bbl rifles (but they are tight match grade bbls).
    There are other premium bullets out there that work great and some of the polymer tipped bonded bullets like the Nosler Accubond, Hornady Interbond can be very accurate in very accurate rifles, but I doubt they would shoot much better in your Lever action M88.
    If I were designating different loads for each species, I'd probably drop down to 150gr bullets for deer and go with a Barnes Triple Shock 165gr for Elk. They penetrate like no ones business, but I have seen them pass thru deer with out expanding much and then it's time to track the dying wounded [V], but some people swear by them. I've had great luck with them on elk and large feral hogs which are hard to put down.
    If you go to different bullets for the two you can go with alot cheaper bullets for deer too, and save money for the premium bullets on elk. An easy way to do it would be to go to a 165gr Nosler Ballistic Tip for the deer ( about 1/2 the price of the Partition bullets) and stay with the 165gr Partition for elk. Then you can use the same load data for both bullets and shouldn't have to mess with re-zeroing and sighting in a different load to much.
    Or you could go with the same weight Nosler Accubond for both, or -- or -- or -- [:D].
    Anyway, there's a few options to think about, and you'll probably get some more from other people.
    Lots of ways you can go -- good luck [^].
  • Options
    edited November -1
    WOW
    you guys are just full of info,,,thats so cool. I thought I was confused before,,,,now I really don't know what to do,,,guess I'll throw a few darts to find out where to start and see what works best. I suppose it is really what the rifle likes best. I suppose working up a load for the 308 is just like working up a load for my 218 bee or my 204 ruger. I printed all this out to use for reference until I come up with something that works well. I want to thank each and everyone of you guys for all your help. Now I have a starting point.
    Shoot Straight,
    Savage[:D]
  • Options
    deadeye46deadeye46 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    here's my .02,I like 150 grain pills for my 308 in front of 47gr. of WW748.Once in a while I use 165's but I don't like 180's at all.Good luck on your hunt.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey deadeye,,,thanks for the info,,,what brand pill of 150 grain?