In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Tight 9mm throat

dtknowlesdtknowles Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭
I have this problem with my 9mm CZ-52. Rounds with this one particular bullet will not fully chamber. I have 7 different bullets in various 9mm ammo and the one round that I have the largest quantity of will not chamber in the CZ-52. This ammo works fine in my Star BM and High Point carbine. The bullet in this ammo does not have a shoulder at the start of the ogive like jacketed bullets the ogive just fairs in to the shank. You can see where the lands are hitting the bullet. These are 129 gr. round nose cast bullets sized to .356" dia. This is my practice ammo, I cast the bullets myself and I have more than 500 rounds. There is no throat to speak of in this barrel the lands are right there at the end of the chamber. I have some other reloads that will function but I guess I should not use them until I work up from lower powder charges. I just went through the process of working up loads that work well in both guns and I guess I needed to start all over again with the CZ. This ammo is max. load so I was going to try it in the CZ, I guess it is natures way of telling me not to short cut the process. These bullets will work OK if I seat them a little deeper. I have more bullets and primed cases so I will start low and work up again and test in all three guns. Not really any question hear, just a reminder to others that every gun is a story unto itself. Start low and work up.

Tim

Comments

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you have a max load it might not be good to just seat the bullet deeper. I had a problem with seating some bullets too deep and ended up having to pull a bunch and reseat.
  • Options
    dtknowlesdtknowles Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah, I keep rejecting short cut I think up. I am going to just start with the starting load and work up again. I am going to try to stick with my current overall length if I can.

Tim