In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.223 - contender load for whitetails

spooksterspookster Member Posts: 513 ✭✭✭
Back problems have forced me to use a handgun for whitetail deer,,,most of my shots here in Pa. are 100yds or less,,Picked up a T/C contender and have decided to go with the 10" .223 rem barrel that came with it to start off with,,,,any suggestions,,on what load/bullet to start with would be appreciated,,,,started re-loading last year for my 218bee and went west with savage 204 for dogs and all worked out fine,,,,Thanks for the help guys,,,,,,,,,,,,,,JIM

Comments

• Options
    savage204savage204 Member Posts: 72 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm sure if you ask savage204 he could give ya a starting load to work up if your gonna reload for it.
  • Options
    spooksterspookster Member Posts: 513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA,,,,thought you were sick buddy,,,,Lay some bullets and loads on me for the T/C .223
  • Options
    SCorversSCorvers Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get a barrel with a round that is proper for deer. A .223 is NOT a round to hunt deer with.
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have killed about 10 deer with 223.Most crashed in there tracks and one went about 30 yards.I have not lost one yet.I use a rifle but if you can shoot the Contender accurate enough,use it.A neck shot with a 223 will kill any deer.The load I use is 27 grains of Hodgen BLC2 powder,55 grain Sierra GameMaster bullet,CCI small magnum rifle primer.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We've had good results with Black Hills loads using the Hornady 60 grain soft point and my handloads using the Speer 70 semi pointed soft point loaded to about 2700-2800 fps. I've had full penetration on lung hits with both. Keep in mind that I limit the range to 150 yards. Smaller, younger deer usually go right down but bigger ones seem to run a little bit. I still don't think the 223 is a good deer round but it will work if it's your only option-just be carefull.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    spookster,

Use 24 gr. of XMR2015 behind a 60 gr. Nosler Partition for about 2700 fps. Or 27 gr. of 4895 if you just want to be generic. The 2015 will work a little better in the short barrel I think though.

Personally I would lean toward the 6.5 or the 7mm TCU though.