In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Lead source

knightriderknightrider Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
I was looking at casting bullets sometime and was wanting to know if there is a source on the internet or a cheap source like wheel balancers that could be used. This just for my own personal knowage and interist.

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    X-ray repair companies; companies selling used xray equipment. This equipment has counterweights and shielding made of lead in many cases.

Also, any tire shop has wheel weights.

I cast tens of thousands of bullets; it is fun easy and very cost effective if you are creative enough to scrouge the lead.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello sorry to say lead prices have gone up and it used to easy to find in plumbers shops and print shops . But unless you live in the BOONIES like one knowledged poster [:o)][:D][:o)] the softest pure lead or the best moulding LINOTYPE is hard to find these days . Check with your scrap metal dealers. Used to be very costly to ship but be aware that the U.S. post office has a pre paid box of just over $8.00 that will hold about 75 to 100 pounds won't make your mail man happy. [xx(] I get heavy stuff like this shipped in these boxes all the time. "PRAISE THE HARD-BALL GUN" I guess it goes with out saying cast either outdoors or a vented area dont eat or drink while casting and wash your hands some people even use a mask with the correct type filters.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    without mentioning names try the 4letter auction site
  • Options
    b00merb00mer Member Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wheel weights are a good source
  • Options
    RustyNailRustyNail Member Posts: 803 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I get mine form a guy who digs it out of the backstops at my range. talk about Ideal lead.
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I buy wheel weights from tire dealers that usually save the old ones that they pull off.