In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

500 S&W mag loaders

375H&H375H&H Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
Anyone know if RCBS has the 500 dia. pilots for their
case trimmers ? Its starting to get to the point where I'm
gonna have to start trimming some cases [B)]
Its a pain in the butt adjusting the crimping die constantly .
Think I'll need a new deburring tool as well [B)]
Found that 39gr's of Win 296 and Sierra's 350gr JHP work very nice
and they are easy on recoil .
One other thing [:0] some nut on ebay is selling
700 GRAIN WFNGC TYRANNOSAURUS THUMPER'S. [B)]
I loaded some 440 gr lead gas checked bullets and they were a
handful to shoot [xx(]
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7239308891&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

Comments

• Options
    RustyNailRustyNail Member Posts: 803 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    375H&H

RCBS does have a pilot for the trimmer. RCBS Part#09399. If you have an RCBS trim pro system, you will need Shell holder #44 RCBS Part#90344.

I'm curious how hot and how many times you've reloaded those cases that they need trimming as well as what kind of cases they are. I have some Starline cases I've deliberately reloaded thirty times without any lengthening. Are you measuring or assuming because of the crimping problem?

I use 330grain RNFP lead/no checks with 32 grains of H4227. They are suberb loads. Accurate, fun but not rediculous recoil and still the loudest report at the range.

I bought a few dozen of those Tyrannosaurus Thumpers--haven't loaded any though. I have 440grain lead/gas check mold from Lee and those are too heavy for target shooting for my taste.

The standard chamfering/deburring cone works fine--the standard blade for the outside is a very tight target to hit. i was experimenting with trimming some cases down to "SW500 special" length. If you locate a larger blade for deburring the outer diameter of the case mouth pleaselet me know.

Thanks, Rob
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Rnail
    The cases are not over the O.A.L. , They just need to be more uniform.
    The lengths vary by + or - .005 to .010
    I have some StarLine brass that require large rifle primers , some
    Cor-Bon , and some Hornady ( the 2nd two use large pistol primers )
    The only " Hot " loads I made were with the 440 gr bullets .

I mostly shoot Sierra 350 gr or Hornady 350 gr XTP's using H-110 ,
    Win 296 , and AA #9 and all the loads are in the middle of the load
    data or just above , never at the listed max.
    I'm shootin them out of two Smiths , one 8 3/8" and a 4"er

Lyman now makes a larger deburring tool that will take care of anything up to 60 cal ( part # 7810206 ) I think they had the 50 BMG
    in mind when they came out with it , but should work with the 500 .
    They have a catalog price of $19.99 , but thats on the high side.

One other question for you [:o)] are the cutting blades on the RCBS trimmer large enough to trim 500's or will it slide right in the case?
    I never tried to trim them for lack of the other equipment needed to
    finish the task . This is the type of Trimmer I'm using .
    http://cgi.ebay.com/RCBS-Case-Trimmer_W0QQitemZ120032037881QQihZ002QQcategoryZ71114QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    Thanks for the info
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just tried it. The blade is big enough for the 500. Come to think of it, the 50BMG was listed as the upper limit for the blade.
    I will get one of those Lyman deburring tools--now I'm curious.

If you get a Large Rifle primer pocket uniformer, all of your brass will take Large Rifle primers. According to the Starline site, the only difference in the original SW500 and the SW500(R) is that the primer pockets are a few thousanths deeper. The Large Rifle primers have the identical circumference and charge--just a slightly heavier/deeper cup to avoid gass-cutting through the firing pin dent.
    (I have one)
  • Options
    jcook01jcook01 Member Posts: 154 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If memory servers all my starline 500 brass is stamped "R" large rifle primer. Are there any instances where 500 brass requires large rifle primers but lacks the "R" designation? I'm guessing the presence of an "R" can be assumed large rifle but the lack of an "R" may not necessarily indicate large pistol primer.

John
  • Options
    edited November -1
    When the 500 mags first came out , I remember reading in either
    Guns & Ammo or Shooting Times magazine that any case that required
    a rifle primer would have an "R" stamped on the bottom of the case .
    If there was no "R" marking it took a large pistol primer , simple as that .
    Also read somewhere that Hornady was going to stop making their 500 mag brass that took rifle primers , and switch all new brass to large
    pistol primers to avoid any more confusion . I have some Hornady brass with the "R" marking . but have not seen any new brass from
    them to comfirm this .
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jcook01
    If memory servers all my starline 500 brass is stamped "R" large rifle primer. Are there any instances where 500 brass requires large rifle primers but lacks the "R" designation? I'm guessing the presence of an "R" can be assumed large rifle but the lack of an "R" may not necessarily indicate large pistol primer.

John

Hi John--haven't seen you in a while. Here's the deal. The original cases used "Large pistol primers." Because a lot of the SW500 loads were so strong, some peoploe got primer "burn-through." A tiny burn hole occuring where the firing pin struck the primer. This could eventually damage the firing pin, so very early on, they changed the case to accommodate a "Large Rifle primer." These primers are made from slightly heavier metal but the SW500 guns will all strike a good dent in those heavy rifle primers with no problem.

The "Large Rifle" primers create the same ignition energy as the "Large Pistol" primers within brands--until you move into the Magnum primers.

The "Large Pistol" primers are .122 inches tall. The "Large Rifle" primers are .126 inches tall. Both are .211 inches in diameter. So you could definitely use the "Large pistol" size primers on either case but if you use the "Large Rifle" primers in the earlier cases they may stick out a couple of thousandsths of an inch. Probably of no consequence but why chance an accidental discharge when closing the cylinder in a gun with that much power.

Good news: You can take the earlier cases and use a primer pocket uniformer. Takes less than five seconds per case and only has to be done once.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 375H&H
    When the 500 mags first came out , I remember reading in either
    Guns & Ammo or Shooting Times magazine that any case that required
    a rifle primer would have an "R" stamped on the bottom of the case .
    If there was no "R" marking it took a large pistol primer , simple as that .
    Also read somewhere that Hornady was going to stop making their 500 mag brass that took rifle primers , and switch all new brass to large
    pistol primers to avoid any more confusion . I have some Hornady brass with the "R" marking . but have not seen any new brass from
    them to comfirm this .

You are correct--the "R" means Rifle primer. I don't think Hornady would stop making the R cases it would make more sense to me the other way around. As far as I know, nobody has made the "non-R" since maybe may of 03 and the caliber was only release in January of 03.
  • Options
    jcook01jcook01 Member Posts: 154 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rusty,

Yes, I concur, Hornady dropping the "R" brass in favor of large pistol after the reported problems doesn't make much sense. Since I became aware of this issue earlier this year all my subsequent 500 mag ammo purchases have been only those with brass stamped "R". I see no reason to gamble when the solution is readily available.

One question I have regarding 500 mag reloads is knowing just how much case crimp is correct? How are you measuring the crimp? I have definitive measurable values for all aspects of the reload except for the crimp.

I've been away from home working TDY a lot this year haven't had a chance to fully reload a 500 round. I've a hundred cases sitting on the table sized and deprimed waiting to be tumbled and loaded. End of next month at the earlist, champing at the bit.

During the interim I need to acquire a weight scale. I currently have an older Pacific powder dispenser but was considering acquiring a Lyman 1200 DPS 2 for both dispensing and scale measurements all in one. Anyone have any direct experience with this particular make/model?

Also looking at the Frankford Aresnal case tumbler with standard media separator to clean up my brass. The brass I plan to clean is Nato 7.62 and 5.56 as well as pistol brass 45acp, 357, 500 mag.

Money,money money, this stuff is rapidly putting me into the poor house!

Regards, John
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Jcook

John--I just bought an RCBS ChargeMaster combo for my Rifle rounds and for higher-grade SW500 Ammo. Most of the SW500 I make using a volumetric charge dispenser. With cast lead bullets varying 1/2 a percent in weight or so from one round to the next, it would be a rediculous gesture to weigh each charge. Of course I check the weight about every twenty five rounds or so, just as a good practice, and usually find the charges to be within .1 grains of the intended charge. I can ten-ring all day long at 25 yds with these.

On the other hand, I do weigh every single charge when making rounds with with very precisely-weighted swaged bullets --the effort is not wasted there. I'm pointing this out because I think you mentioned that you use various different bullets.

Oh yeah--the scale. Acuurate, easy to use but too slow for my current needs. I like my RCBS ChargeMaster combo so much I am thinking about getting a second one--now that I in the reloading business. Same for my Lyman 1200 flow-through tumbler. Just added a Lyman 2200 with the same features. Let me know if you find a weighing sytem that weighs accurately, precisely AND quickly.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info on that Primer pocket uniformer
    gonna look into one of those , and not worry about what primer goes
    into what case .
    But before I do that , thinking about an RCBS Power Pro Trimmer [:p]

Just finished trimming 150 30-06's [B)]
    deburrd and ready to load [:p]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    375H&H
    You'll love that RCBS power trimmer. It is a little cumbersome at first and either needs to be mounted to a counter or to a board that can be clamped to a counter top. Sounds just like the rotisserie off a barbeque grill--works great once you get it adjusted.

I've done about 500 rounds of 30-06 with it in the past week. We seem to have similar taste in calibers!