In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester 43, 218 bee

savage204savage204 Member Posts: 72 ✭✭
Hey Guys,
I'm having a problem reloading for my Winchester 43 in 218bee. I'm using the Hornady book for the 40 grain V-Max. It says the C.O.L. should be 1.770. After I seated the bullet, I took it outside and was going to chamber it to make sure the bolt closed and all worked well. I'm glad I did because the cartridge will not fit into the clip. I have 3 original clips for this rifle and it won't fit in any of them. The cartridge chambers fine in the rifle. Any ideas or suggestions would be a great help because I'm lost. I do a lot of reloading for all my other rifles and hand guns and never had this problem. [:(!] HELP!

Comments

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    THE OAL IS FOR A BLUNT NOSED BULLET, YOU WILL HAVE TO ADJUST YOUR OAL TO FIT THE MAGAZINE (OR USE IT LIKE A SINGLE SHOT).
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    OAL is OAL...blunt/pointed bullets notwithstanding.

The round MUST be shorter then the magazine, or they will not slide into the body of it.

Seat the bullets deep enough so they will run through the magazine...and forget the book OAL. Do NOT seat the bullets much deeper then the neck of a case, by the way... Or..better yet..accuracy test the rounds you have assembled..you may find that they will outshoot a deeper seated bullet.

First, of course, check that the bullet IS NOT CONTACTING the lands..you will get a pressure spike if they are.
    I have a .308 bolt gun that absolutely MUST be single loaded...because the throat is so long, I cannot get the bullet near it any other way.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MIKE WISKEY
    THE OAL IS FOR A BLUNT NOSED BULLET, YOU WILL HAVE TO ADJUST YOUR OAL TO FIT THE MAGAZINE (OR USE IT LIKE A SINGLE SHOT).
    If I adjust to have it fit the magazine, won't it increase the preasure in the case? Wish I would have known this before I bought all those bullets.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Savage204,

Mike and highball are both right in a sense. The newer V-max bullets have a longer ogive than the bullet used of the day when that rifle was made, the semi-pointed or semi-spitzer. Your magazines were made to conform to that bullet shape.

Not to worry though, you can do like Highball says and seat the bullets deep enough to fit in the mag or feed them in singly. You shouldn't experience a severe pressure spike by doing this. But, just to be safe, if you loaded them near max, then shoot ten or so of them singly. Take those ten reduce charges with the new seating depth and work up checking for pressure signs and accuracy. If you have both up to the point you loaded the rest then you can seat them down in their cases to the depth you need. Or, you can feed that batch through singly.

It has been a few years since I loaded for my uncles .218 Bee in a model 43. It was a great jackrabbit gun out to 200 yds. with 40 and 45 gr. semi-spitzers. -good luck

EDIT:

Savage204,

I guess for accuracy's sake do like JustC said and get used to feeding the V-max's singly(700...that's a lot!) whilst you pop varmints of all varieties at all the ranges your Bee can shoot. After you crawl out of your nest, have some 40's or 45's loaded up to fit in the magazine for the last walk around the field.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sandwarrior,
    I loaded them at 11.5 and the max is 12.0 grains. So I should be safe with the preasure. The book says col should be 1.770 and I had to take it down to 1.70 to get it in the magazine. Do you think that is too much? Do you know anybody who could use 700 bullets of Hornady V-max for a 22 cal? HAHAHAHA Gues I'm a little nervous.,,,,,,Savage
  • Options
    PJPJ Member Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to do this in my CZ 527 in .22 Hornet, and I am using 35 grain V Max's which are pretty stubby anyhow.
    Pete
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    deeper seating won't make much difference as the freebore of the factory chamber will allow the bullet to move upon ignition more freely, then when it engraves into the lands at the rifling, the internal volume in the case will have increased to the same as it would have been had you seated the bullet long.

Best advice, seat them the longest possible that they will still reliably feed, and run your load ladder from their. I single feed most all of my LR rifles, because they are long throated for long/ high BC pills and the magazines just won't accept that length (if there is a magazine). I load to fit the magazine for a field hunting rifle that gets carried a lot.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey Guys,
    I want to thank all of you for the help. Your very knowledgable and I'm
    please to be in company with you. The books are helpful, but don't cover all the problems we run into. I've even printed this out to reference in the future. Thanks again,
    Savage