In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Speer Hot Cor performance

TeamblueTeamblue Member Posts: 782 ✭✭✭✭
I am in the process of reloading for my .308 for deer season. I recently picked up a box of 165 gr. Speer Hot Cor spitzers.

Anybody here have any experience with the Hot Cors? How do they stack up to the Hornady Spire Point Interlocks. That is what I have been using, just wanting to experiment with other bullets. Thanks!

TB

Comments

• Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Teamblue
    I shot speer bullets almost exclusivly until recently. I always had good performance, but was looking for something more. On my 308 I used 165gr rn speer. Usually did not push them very hard either. Most of my shots then were in the 50 - 75yd range. Now my shots are much longer and have totally changed my loads.

If you like I can look some of the old loads up tomorrow when I am at the shop.
  • Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are good hunting bullets. Performance should be similar to the Hornady Spire Points. They were really the first of the attempts to bond the core to the bullet jackets by putting the lead core in while hot or molten, whereas the H.Interlocks have a ring around the core where the cannelure/crimping groove is.
    The Speer Hot-Cor is a flat based bullet and is a tougher bullet than the Speer Boat Tail Spitzer bullet.
    Sometimes they are not the most accurate bullet on the shelf, but most shoot fine and work well on game, especially in standard velocity cartridges like the 308 Win. and 30.06, etc.
    I've found if you want to get * about accuracy with them, you should separate them and load by weight ( which also works on other types of bullets of course). Reason being, when they put the core in them hot sometimes they get air bubbles in them and the lightest ones have the most air bubbles which will make them not balance in flight as well. The heavier ones are are filled better with lead and are more accurate. This was years ago, and I think they do a more consistant job of core installation now days.
    How do I know this ? -- Lets just say I used to waste alot of time doing things like sectioning bullets and looking at them, etc.
    I don't use them much anymore because there are so many others to choose from and play with, but I don't think you'll have any problems hunting with them. They put down everything I ever shot with them, just wouldn't be my first choice for long range accuracy.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    I'VE USED THEM IN MY .35 REM., SHOT A DOE END TO END WITH ALMOST NO WEIGHT LOSS.
  • Options
    TeamblueTeamblue Member Posts: 782 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    temblor,

Thanks for the thoughtful and detailed response. It all helps. I will be trying a couple different recipes using Reloder 15 and Varget. I have had good luck with those two before.

TB