In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

New Headstamp-.45acp

PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was at the range today shooting a model 24-47 that I had made a new fron sight for. It was shooting about 6" high at 100 yards. Someone had left a whole pile of .45acp on the range and being a brass scrounger all my life I picked them up and took them home--almost 200 cases. When I got them home and took a good look at them I was surprised to find the head stamp was AP 04 on one side and .45 auto on the opposite side. I had not seen an AP headstamp before and was wondering if one of you knew who manufactured it. It is good looking brass but I did notice one thing right off the bat--the flashole was very ragged(burrs) suggesting the usual punching of the flashole.

Comments

• Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't remember the company off the top of my head but I have had problems reloading this brass. They size hard and don't always go back to spec after sizing. This was a few years ago. This was fired from several different guns.
  • Options
    PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As I have already stated I don't know who makes this stuff but their specs must be very loose. I did a complete preparation of 183 cases today(cleaning, flashole ream, primer pocket uniforming, trimming to length, etc.). What I found was cases that had some pretty ragged burrs in the flashole, flasholes off center, primer pockets too deep, primer pockets too shallow and primer pockets that were not flat(not level). Also some of the flasholes were too small and had to be opened up to specification size. The only thing that was consistant was the length and it was pretty much on the money. I will use this stuff for practice and plinking loads, nothing serious and see how it stands up.
  • Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That may be why they left it laying there Pinhead. Might have bought it cheap to shoot and knew it was poor quality brass.
    Some of that stuff is more trouble and work than it's worth [V].