In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

6MM bullets

greystonegreystone Member Posts: 194 ✭✭✭
After being away from reloading for years I'm going to get back into it. I'm looking for a source for 6 MM bulets about 60-65 grains FMJ. They seem to be non-existant. Thanks

Comments

• bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome back to the fun ....Bullets are better than ever.

Berger bullets are good so are Fowler Bullets.

I think Midway has the Berger bullets in stock. You can also buy them on the internet direct from the manufacturer.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Euber makes some serious wicked pills for paper work. Other than that,.take a look at hornady a-max pills as well as the bergers. No flies on a berger pill. Also Bart's bullets or JLK.
  • greystonegreystone Member Posts: 194 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the the reply but Berger doesn't have what I'm looking for. I can find FMJ in heavier weights but not in the 60-65 grain area
  • temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Seldom see FMJ .243" bullets that light these days.
    Do they have to be FMJ ?
    Hornady makes a 58gr & a 65gr V-Max bullet with the polymer tip ( primarily a varmit bullet - explosive on game ) that's very accurate.
    Sierra makes a 60 Hollow Point; Nosler makes 55gr & 70gr Ballistic Tips ( varmit bullets again ) with the polymer tips.
    Don't know what your use will be -- there are some other target type bullets availible as noted by JustC.
  • greystonegreystone Member Posts: 194 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What I really want to do is to play around with a fairly high velocity round and also use it for coyotes and maybe fox with minimal pelt damage. Don't really want to buy high $ target bullets. I haven't looked at bullet selections for over 20 years. One thing I notice is that bullets were one hell of alot cheaper 20 years ago.
    Thanks for the replys
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would stick to heavy for caliber bullets for minimal pelt damage. You have to give up "lightning quick" violent kills with big holes, for clean punch throughs that leave small holes.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    greystone,

This is Bergers lower line-up of 6mm's. If you can't find a dealer then you could order direct from Berger.

6mm 60 gr Match
    6mm 62 gr Match
    6mm 65 gr Match
    6mm 65 gr Match BT
    6mm 66 gr Match High BC FB
    6mm 68 gr Match
    6mm 69 gr High BC FB

This gets you into the area where Midway USA sells them:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.exe/browse?TabID=1&Categoryid=7241&categorystring=9315***652***675***9016***
    Just do a search for bullets then 6mm etc. Grafs http://www.grafs.com/metallic/922 carries them as well as several other suppliers. I buy locally here at www.gunstop.com but he sells over the internet as well I know he has all the Berger bullets you are looking for.

This site takes you to the Hornady site where you can find 58 and 65 gr. V-maxs's...excellent choice:
    https://www.hornady.com/shop/?ps_session=c57fb06ffecc592f0b7338302278d1f1&page=shop/browse&category_id=b8726155409af7b53d4d0d4cc83092f4

Yet again, this site is Sierra's 6mm's:
    http://www.sierrabullets.com/index.cfm?section=bullets&page=bullets&caliberID=4
    If you can't find the bullets on the shelf and don't want to go on your own through e-mail ask if the store will order for you.

-good luck![:D]
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    greystone,

Although this is not the answer you're looking for, it's the best I can do right now.

I can't locate any lightweight FMJ bullets in the range that you want to work with. I don't even remember anyone working with the 6mm and the FMJ design in the lighter weights. There may have been some years ago but not necessarily today. I even checked with both Lapua and Norma just to be sure.

The ones offered currently are either 80 gr. or 85 gr. with an alternative of the Barnes Solid at 75 gr. If your choice of cartridge is truly a "fairly high velocity round" then the slight increase in weight shouldn't hold you back that much from your goals. No it won't be as flat shooting as a laser but most rarely are after you arrive at an accuracy load. The 80's will be reasonably priced but the Barnes will be costly to say the least. It's unfortunate but sticker shock will wear off eventually and you can get back to buying components for testing. Prices are not going to go back down because the raw material prices are still going up according to the market. The war and several other factors are seeing to that.

My .240 Weatherby is about as high velocity as you can get with the 6mm chamberings. Shooting 105 gr. AMAX bullets I'm hot on the tale of 3400 FPS. so you could be looking at 3800 FPS if the proper length barrel is used in conjuction with the 80 gr. bullets. Pelt damage can minimized by head shots instead of body shots. Your FMJ's can result in run offs. A properly constructed bullet through the head should prevent both run offs as well as pelt damage.

Best of luck!
  • temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    6mm Sierra 90 Grain FMJBT.
    $13.89 per 100 bullets.
    Order # ST1Sl1535
    Natchez Shooters Supplies -- 1-800-251-7839
    www.natchezss.com