In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.45 ACP Case Length

MatchshotMatchshot Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
I am reloading once and twice fired brass and it dawned on me I might need to be concerned about case length. I am loading SWC, 200 gr. with an OAL of 1.248" (4.5 gr. Bullseye). In doing a random check of brass, most came out to .900 to .920 in length. I do not yet have a trimmer, do I need to be concerned? A longer case is is going to increase my seating depth... I think I am answering my own question, I need to check cases and use a standard length for the best consistancy.

Any other thought would be helpful. Best trimmer setup?

Comments

• Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is no need to trim 45ACP brass, but your numbers seem a little funny. That stuff usualy gets shorter (and fatter) when you fire it. Normaly you will lose your 45 brass before you ever need to trim it or wear it out.

SAMMI Min 0.888
    Trim to 0.893
    SAMMI Max 0.898
    Min OAL 1.190
    Max OAL 1.275
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am sitting here measuring brass and most are shorter. That .900 that I quoted was for less than a third of the brass. Most are .870 or less.

My question is, if the brass is of different lengths and you have a standard OAL, aren't you seating your bullet at different depths and changing your pressure?

Am I over thinking this?
  • Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If your dumping your powder charges for a measure and not hand trickling each charge (which most people don't do with pistol ammo) the variances in the powder dump will most likely change the cartridge to cartridge pressure more than the slight difference in case length your talking about -- But yes you are correct technically on the seating depth and yes you are overthinking it [:D].
    Good Luck...........[^]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Okay, okay, your right, I am being a little obsessive about this. I am relatively new to reloading and don't want to screw up....

Fixed the dryer, played ball with the kids and the wife is walking the dog. I think I am going to get back to making bullets.

Thank goodness for these forums and experienced reloaders. Thanks
    Chris
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actualy you arn't changing the seating depth, as measured from the case base to the bullet base. Think about it, the length of the case dosn't effect the volume below the bullet (where the powder is), as long as the OAL is (fairly) consistant.
    You "might" get a change in the amount of neck tension, but at 45ACP prssures that will be trivial (different brands/lots of brass will effect it more)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I understand your point about the volume under the bullet. I guess I was thinking about the neck tension in that with the longer case more of the bullet will be in contact with the sides of the case. I also see that at the relatively low pressures we are dealing with this doesn't mean much.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello If you use a taper crimp die and crimp to.469 you don't have to worry about case lenght. I have been loading match grade 45 ACP on a STAR reloading press for over 35 years and 5000 to 7500 rounds a year . "PRAISE THE HARDBALL GUN"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    Hello If you use a taper crimp die and crimp to.469 you don't have to worry about case lenght.

I am going to make another batch of rounds, I will cut the crimp down to .469.

Thanks