In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

wc 844 in the 308

ddhotbotddhotbot Member Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭✭✭
i want too work up some accurate loads using wc844 powder and the 165ge pspbt bullet.anyone use this powder in thier 308? good starting point?thanks don

Comments

• BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use a ton of WCC844(H335)for my 223. I may have some military load data for 308 I will check. I have WCC846 for 308 (BLC-2). Check Hodgdon for commercial loads.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ddhotbot,

I think you'll find that the WC-844 is a touch fast for the .308 Win. This doesn't mean that you can't use it, just that you won't get a full case of powder which generally leads to more consistant accuracy. Measurement of powder weights that are less than a full case (85.0% here) gets to be critical faster as you approach the maximum pressure. WC-844 will show improved ballistics when used with the lighter bullets such as 125 gr. and 130 gr. WC-846 is actually the powder that is better suited to this cartridge with the mid-weight and heavier bullets.

The ballistics breakdown for the 7.62 x 51 cartridge and the WC-844 powder is as follows:

For the 147 gr. FMJ = Starting / 42.0 gr. at 2600 FPS.
    ________________ = Maximum / 45.0 gr. @ 2800 FPS.

For the 173 gr. Match = Starting / 40.0 gr. @ 2429 FPS.
    __________________ = Maximum / 42.0 gr. @ 2528 FPS.

Best.
  • ddhotbotddhotbot Member Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks,what primer would you reccomend with wc844 and fed cases?should i use a mag primer?don
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ddhotbot,

The proper primer is arrived at by testing. It is still thought that Ball-type powders can benefit from a Magnum primer but this isn't always true. The best situation is to use or borrow for use, a chronograph which helps establish the peaks and efficiencies of loads as you work them up. Remember to start low and work up slowly, watching for the obvious signs of pressure.

I've always used the Federal Match primers for most of my loading but that shouldn't preclude trying other primers such as the CCI's either. Occasionally, the Winchester primers will solve a grouping problem as well.

This is a link to a primer reference chart:

http://www.lasc.us/primerchart.htm

And another for cross-reference:

http://www.handloads.com/misc/primers.asp

Best.