In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Reloading dies

matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
Are there carbide dies in pistol and rifle calibers?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    When I first started using reloading equipment there was a lot of rust on dies that I put away for further use. I started to use carburetor cleaner to clean them and put them in a plastic bag away in a drawer for future use. Now I get then out and they are in much better condition yet there is still some rust and would like to know if there is some lubrication that I can use on them to store?

Emmett
  • Options
    edited November -1
    for reloading pistol rounds should I be crimping them. I have the dies, but dont think I need it. I am looking at getting more dies and when I reload 9mm should I crimp them?
  • Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    See response in to this post in General Discussion forum........
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I responded in general but the bottom line is that there are Carbide dies for necked cases like the 357 Sig as well as rifle cases like the .223 & .308. In addition of course to the standard straight wall and taper wall pistol cases.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    As discussed in the General Disscussion forum, they haven't been around long and are availible in a few cartridges like 223 & 308 from Dillon for use on their progressive presses for loading mass quantity lots of ammo for durability and the trouble of always getting the proper amount of lubrication in that application, but they still require being lubed so you haven't gained anything.
    From the question in his post I would guess that matwor isn't looking to do that kind of loading yet and I think you're steering him down the wrong road to some stuck cases.
    Name some other calibers from other makers.....................[8]
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am not "steering" him anywhere. He asked, you answered. I answered correctly. I stated in my post that you still need to lube the rifle dies so I think matwor is informed of the FACTS. Carbide rifle dies last longer that is why they are made. Don't forget the .357 Sig dies. I don't know of anyone else making them that is why I didn't say so.[}:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BHAVIN
    I am not "steering" him anywhere. He asked, you answered. I answered correctly. I stated in my post that you still need to lube the rifle dies so I think matwor is informed of the FACTS. Carbide rifle dies last longer that is why they are made. Don't forget the .357 Sig dies. I don't know of anyone else making them that is why I didn't say so.[}:)]

I rest my case...
    matwor : get some case lube [:D].