In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Going to break in 2 new rifles

dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
My friend is bringing down his new Browning A-bolt in 325 WSM for a weekend of loading and shooting. It is a virgin bore. I picked up some 150gr Sierra game kings to load for break in, and some 200gr Barnes TSX for him to go elk hunting with. Should take me most of the week to get these all ready for him coming down.
Then on the same weekend, my dad is bringing his Tikka T3 Lite in 30-06 for a similar treatment. He has shot 6 rounds through it so far. 2 of them killed deer last year. I told him to bring lots of old brass, and I would set him up as well. Should make for an interesting weekend.
I will keep you posted on these loads, and how they do.

Comments

• sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dcso3009,

You lucky dog! If you get to shoot the 325WSM at a longer range let us know how it does ballistically. -Have fun and save some ammo for the hunts...
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sandwarrior
    Unfortunately the range I am using only has targets to 200 yards. And that is if I get out and cut a path through the cornfield, so the long range stuff is out. Still should be fun getting a feel for that caliber. I already know the 30-06 well.
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Your really going to like that 325, it's no where near as bad as some think.
    The TSX is a good choice for Elk, as is the 200 gr Accubond I use in the one I did.
    H-4350 did very well with the 200 grain Accubond.........
    edited November -1
    MrBruce
    H4350 is what I got for the 325. I also read some great results with Re-19, which I have on hand and may try as well. I'll keep you posted.
  • gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do I read you will not be sighting/practice/shooting at 200 yd because you don't want to cut a path through the cornfield ?

Whatcha gonna do when you get a chance for an elk shot at 230 yards ? Make the best guess you can, and hope for a best guess follow up shot ?

Don't either of you have son / nephew / god-child / psuedo son - young buck that will go with you. I have NEVER had any problems getting young blood to go for the 'hard labor' as long as they get to shoot. I can't justify a 4-wheeler, so I use two legged pack mules.... It's not too late. Surely you can drum someone up.
    Well, since the weekend is almost here, know WE STILL WISH IT WAS US.
    ENJOY !

It is a crime, how many 'Dads' never took their son/daughter out to teach them to hunt, fish, read the woods, survive if stranded... or even to shoot safely.
    edited November -1
    Gotstolefrom
    I have one more week to go. Sometimes I forget that most of the world does not have to work every other weekend like I do. I get 26 weekends, not 52. Oh well I make the best of what I get.

What I should have said is... If the landowner allows us to cut a path through the corn we will shoot out to 200yds. My only child is a 6 yo girl. I am not going to make her do all the work. She may come out and help. As for my friend he has no children. So no cheap labor for us.

You can bet that I will be teaching my child all that I can about the outdoors and shooting. She will certainly not get that from her mother.
    edited November -1
    Got them done... Over 150 rounds in one day! Both got a 50 round break-in and then sighted in with hunting ammo. The Tikka was laying down just under 1" groups. Not bad for the wind we had (25-40mph quartering from behind us).
    The 325WSM really likes the 200gr TSX's pushed hard! I fired a 5 round group at just over 1/2". The recoil was not nearly as bad as I had thought it would be. Very sharp, fast, short feeling recoil. The duratoutch on the Brushcamo stock is really nice too. Now it leaves on Tuesday for Colorado. BTW the 200 gr TSX's were loaded .005 off the lands behind 67gr H4350. This is a near max load so use with caution. I had a lightly flattened primer, less than the factory loads I deprimed, with no bolt stick.