In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Removing bullet lube from barrel

I recently started loading cast bullets for my .45ACP. The only problem I've run into is that after I get back from the range, the rear of the barrel adjacent to the chamber is caked with bullet lube. Is there any relatively easy way to remove it? I've tried everything I could think of, but so far all that works is a lot of time and elbow grease.

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello I think you will find the deposit is lead not bullet lube. The heat from the cartridge going off and the bullet going down the barrel will more then likely melt any bullet lube. You did not state what brand of cast bullet you are useing. I use STAR SWAGED 45acp bullets and lube them with 50/50 lube I dont like hard lube that is like hard wax. I can clean my barrel every 200 or so rounds and never have to scrub much My match gun barrels get at least 100,000 rounds thru them before I even think of replaceing the barrel and most times it is the lock up area that wear not the bore.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Second what Perry Shooter said. So far as it being lead, not lube. How to eliminate it? What charge powder are you using? Do you have access to a chronograph? Where did you get the bullets? What is their diameter? What is your bore diameter? What lube is on the bullets? Is there a gas check? Lots of questions here. Any of the above could be part of the problem.
  • Options
    MrOrangeMrOrange Member Posts: 3,012
    edited November -1
    I used to use the good old Lewis Lead Remover you can pick up in most any shop or online (I go to Brownells, just 'cause it's Brownells).

Lately I've been using Frontier Metal Cleaner

http://www.big45metalcleaner.com/

and find it works better with less effort.
  • Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When your done shooting cast bullets for the day shoot 5 rounds of jacketed, cleans the lead right out.