In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Blowback???

mikecarol63mikecarol63 Member Posts: 336 ✭✭✭
Hi; I loaded some .243's and the Hogdon Reduced loads state min.oal 2.640. Thats what I have. The loadeing manual says 2.710 max oal. I'm getting black carbon on the case necks when I shoot, and was wondering if I should not put the bullet in as far, so as to lengthen the oal? What do you guys think? Thanks, Mike

Comments

• Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    This happens when the load is so light that the case does not expand enough to seal the neck.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are a couple of ways to get rid of that if it bothers you.

Use a faster powder to get a higher peak pressure and to expand the case quicker.

You can seat the bullets out until they jamb the refiling. The pressure will build a bit more before the bullet starts to move sealing better.

One problem with the second method is you may be too long to fit your magazine.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you are running at low pressures and the necks won't seal quickly. These boys covered that already. You need to load it hotter and get it burning better. I have loaded light before,..but IMHO they tend to be a little "funny" with their low charges,..they just don't punch paper as well[B)]

remember,.if you run too low in charge weight to get a recoil level you are looking for, you can get into dangerous territory quickly. Too little powder can cause what is known as an instantaneous detonation due to the primer spark jumping all the way across the entire load of powder laying in the bottom of the case, and cause a sharp pressure spike which will destroy a rifle and worse. I am sure you are follwing the manual,..even for reduced loads[?] but I just thought I would throw that out there.

step it up .3gr at a time until it groups best,..and I bet the necks are clean[^]