In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

long range rifle

Hi everyone,
I'm new to your forum and wanted to say hi. I am trying to decide between a Tikka T3 tactical, A Savage 10FP with the H-S Stock, or a Remington 700. I will probably get a .308, but open to your suggestions. Thanks, catt_tracker

Comments

• Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Define long range, or at least what you perceive it to be.
    What will be your purpose, target, hunting or ???
    Do you reload?
    What's your level of experance?
    What's your budget?
    Do you have a good gunsmith who is experanced with long range and bench rest rifles?
  • catt_trackercatt_tracker Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will just be shooting at paper, and I was thinking 600 yards would be fun. Where I live in Idaho we don't have much as far as gunsmiths. I do reload my hunting rifle is a 300 rum and I reload for it. The best group I've gotten with it is a 3 shoot 1 inch. I would like to stay under $1500.00. I bought a Bushnell elite with mildot for my scope and will use Warne bases and rings.
  • temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It sounds like your looking for something that shoots well right out of the box rather than doing alot of tweeking.
    I think you'll get similar results with any of the guns you mentioned -- they are all good guns. Next question is cosmetics. If you can live with the looks of the Savage, it'll probably shoot just as well and save a few bucks. In the Rem. 700 I'd go with the PSS model.
    Seeing that you already have the scope you want to use, and you said $1500 range, I would personally look at the SAKO 75 Hvy BBL Varmit model, and availible in 308 Win. -- It's less money than their tactical type guns and very accurate.
    Good Luck whatever you decide.............[^]
  • dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    What is wrong with the 300 RUM?

Is your 3 in 1" group at 100 yards or further?

How about $500? Spend $150 for a Swiss K31, a St. Marie scope mount, & $200 for scope.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    300 Win Mag.

My .02
    edited November -1
    The 300 rum groups were at 100 yards. It is fine for hunting, but not much fun to shoot from a rest. I am wanting something more accurate and milder recoil.
    edited November -1
    Nearly...and about as close...as two calibers ballistics can get. 300 RUM and 300 Win Mag are VERY close. RUM has a touch more speed for the same bullet....but at the expense of more powder.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by catt_tracker
    The 300 rum groups were at 100 yards. It is fine for hunting, but not much fun to shoot from a rest. I am wanting something more accurate and milder recoil.

Ah...

Then the choice is MUCH easier. 6.5x55 on a modern action. Custom gun - 6.5x284 (same caliber, almost, if not the same 55 mm case).

Here is my K31, open sights, 300 yards - milsurp rounds. Reloads do better.

k31168300yds.jpg

A load work up target...
    k3115sfmja.jpg
    edited November -1
    dcloco thats impressive shooting. Thanks for the info
    edited November -1
    It is not me...it is the rifle.

I have three of them...they shoot the same.

Of course, add a scope mount and a scope...these are tack drivers.
  • ContacFrontContacFront Member Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Keep it 308.

300RUM and 300WIN have crappy barrel life. So unless you have about 650.00 for a new barrel every few thousand rounds then stay with a 308.

I have a Savage 10FP that does really well in 600yard F-Class competition. Will stay in the 9,10, and X ring all day long if I do my job calling wind. No too bad for a rifle that cost under 600.00 with a Choate stock.

Or if you want, find a Rem 700 5R Milspec, they run around 850 to 900. Then spend the rest on glass.

Another option would be a 700P M700, for around 750.00, will hold 3/4 minute with handloads all day long and spend the rest on glass.

+ another bonus with 308 is the ease of loading for it. And if you do not want to load, there is a variety of match grade ammo out there at a decent cost.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    100_0727.jpg

The 300RUM is plenty capable,..you just have to tame it a bit.[;)]
    edited November -1
    What kind of rifle did you get the group with out of a 300 RUM?
    edited November -1
    Nice shooting JustC!

Catt_tracker,

Any time JustC suggest a rifle, run! No way in hell his sticks stay within the 1500.00 limit!

His scopes run more than that!

ha!

How you doing bud?
    edited November -1
    100_0235.jpg

that group was fired with this ole thing[8D]

Vu,..how is the shooting going?? any more new additions to the stable?
    edited November -1
    Justc if you don't mind me asking what powder and bullets do you use in your 300RUM? catt_tracker P.S. very nice rifle!
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    catt_tracker,

I would look at something besides .308 because someday your going to want to shoot at longer ranges. However, it has the most prevalent match ammo available for it.

As suggested something in 6.5mm or if interested in Savage a BVSS in 25-06 can be a real stunner with 100-120gr. match bullets. I've shot Remingtons out of the box and Savages out of the box and while both are good I would take the Savage for shooting. For looks the Rem gets the edge. CZ makes a very accurate rifle as well for around a grand. They also make varmint rifles in several calibers besides .308.

And then, since you mentioned $1500 as your cap, you can find a good action and put a custom barrel on it. Combined with that Elite Scope you mentioned you should easily get sub MOA. I wouldn't go with the 300 RUM though....maybe the RSAUM or WSM...but then again I haven't liked being on the bad end of a beating very much either. You will get as much performance out of a 6.5 as you will any .300 mag. -good luck
    edited November -1
    catt_tracker,..the powders I have used so far are H1000 with 200gr SMK's and RL25 with the same bullets. I have used retumbo with the 216gr clinch river pills,..but I am not wholly satisfied with the retumbo. I had some hard carbon fouling in the throat when I was running the last retumbo ladder and the groups went bad on me. Next will be 220gr SMK's or 210gr bergers and I will try US869 powder next (new from hodgden)
    edited November -1
    Very nice rig Justin. Cute blue stock..... [:D]

Been shooting a lot. I run the Tactical Long Range match out here now and thats been keeping me pretty tied up.

I have a few new additions to the family.

Below is my new pig rig. Bone stock Rem M700 LTR 20" Barrel
    Leupold Mark 4 M2 3-10 40mm with TMR lit reticle. I was able to make hits on a B-27 at 1K last weekend. Took 41MOA to get me there though!
    LTRPainted2.jpg

Below is a custom Yost-Bonitz built 6.5x284 on a M70 action in a McM A4 with NXS 5-22 Mil-Dot. A buddy just gave it to me, has 20 rounds down the tube. The guy has kids and lives 2 hours from a 1K range so he wants me to take it out and shoot the barrel out. Haven't even touched it, I feel dirty shooting "fag-mags" LOL [xx(]. But I am going to get it going this winter.
    Custom6.jpg

And the new born is a FN SPR 308. I just picked her up and she hasn't even been shipped from CO yet. She will be next years primary match rig and will sport a NXS 3-15 MLR. I retired my Savage 308. The target shown was the last group the guy shot. 200 yards, 8 rounds. 168gn Federal Gold Medal
    Gun has 117 rounds down the tube. [}:)]
    SPR.jpg
    SPRTarget.jpg
    edited November -1
    been wondering about them FN rigs,..I had heard they were pretty good shooters,..but for the price, they better be.

Don't count out that 6.5x284 on that win action,..my 6.5x55AI on a win action has proven I need to take it to the matches. Here are 2 fouler rounds at 408yds to test the balistic chart,..it said 4moa,..so I used the 4moa line in the R2 reticle,..and low and behold.....

100_0981.jpg

100_0983.jpg

as you can see,..the first 2 shots are at the bottom, and the top 2 shots were using the 4moa holdover,..seems as though my chart is just about perfect and those 140gr a-max's are really gettin it done

100_0416.jpg
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys I appreciate all the info you have given me.
    edited November -1
    Justin,

Thats some nice shooting. No doubt the 6.5x284 is a performer but I just don't dig "hot rods". If i need something to reach out there past 1K, I turn to my GAP 300win w/ 210VLDs at 2900FPS.

As for a FN, they aren't bad at all. Retail 1500.00, is you shop around you can get a LNIB for around 1100-1200.

Not bad if you think about it.

Chrome lined barrel. Life time warranty on that. 10,000 rounds +

McMillan stock. Magazine fed. All of the FNs I've seen have been shooters out of the box.
  • 2BGood2BGood Member Posts: 119 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a SAKO SS in a 300 Ultra mag. Gun is no longer in production. But still around for about a grand give or take. More then capapble of making lond distance shots. Right out of the box.

Ive topped mine with a Swarovski 4 x 12 x 50 in a tds reticle,,,,so far im very happy with it.

But then again it depends on what your calling long range.
    edited November -1
    The fartherest I've killed anything with my 300 RUM was a bull elk at 564 yards. I ranged him with my Leica 1200. I haven't been able to get any consistant sub-moa groups with mine yet. I was about to give up on the cartridge until Justc showed me his groups. I guess I haven't found the right load yet. Maybe I will buy a new barrel and stock for it.