In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

I may go back to reloading 9mm

gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
I began to shoot bulk ammo for 9mm because (as you know), it is so cheap. I have been just getting my ammo at the range. They carry MAGTECH for all handguns. The price is as good as I can get, and for casual offhand shooting at ranges of 60 feet and less, the accuracy fine.

My problem is this .... That is the dirtiest ammo I have ever shot. I thought my bullseye reloads were on the dirty side, but this stuff is worse[|)]. I'm not just talking about gumming up the works after 600+ rounds, I'm talking about getting 'soot' on you if you handle the pistol after shooting 100 rounds.

Is this stuff really dirty, or is it just me .
I'm wondering if I have lost my perspective since I havn't reloaded that round for years. Do you fellas find the same ? If you found an alternate cheap round, please pass that info on.

Comments

• PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I buy 9mm Blazer ammo from Acadamy Sports for $4.98 a box. It has always worked well and clean for me in IDPA competition.
  • 375H&H375H&H Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    gotstolefrom
    I love when the fellas at our gun club have a shootin session with
    their 9mm's , 40's or 45 ACP's [:p]

I sit back watch , shoot the bull a little , and when they finish
    I clean up the empties [:D]

When I load for the auto pistols , I do a 1000 at a time .
    ( with a Rock Chucker press ) One setting I'll resize , next night
    I'll bell em , another day I'll prime them , and then I'll fill
    4 loading trays and load them 200 at a time . I love hanging out in the gun room loading rounds , so for me its enjoyment [8)]

But as far as loading for the 9mm . I get 1000 rounds of 115
    or 124 gr bullets on ebay for around $45 , $18 for a lb of win 231
    and a carton of CCI 500 primers fot $18 . I'm using somewhere around 5 grs
    of powder ( give or take .5 gr. ) when all is said and done it
    costs me around $3.80 a box of 50 to load and my time [:p]
    assuming you get the brass for free .
  • beararms2beararms2 Member Posts: 79 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good alternative round on the cheap? Your own reloads, provided you have the time and equipment. Blue dot powder in place of that Bullseye burns a lot cleaner. If you buy more cheap ammo, make sure you get some w/ good brass to reload. You can't beat the price, satisfaction, and performance of DIY reloads[;)]
  • 375H&H375H&H Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.iidbs.com/hitech.zkb?root&method&object-menu0

Just found this link in the gen dis. forums
    " knob creek "

Prices are not too bad
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I reload all my own 9mm; get wheelweights free, melt them, turn 'em into bullets. Use range pick up 9mm brass INSPECT IT, tumble it. I kinda like Red Dot over Bullseye for semi autos (just had more luck with it) or HS 6. I figure total cost per 50 is around $2.25, far cheaper than even the cheapest store stuff.
  • AllenoAlleno Member Posts: 275 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I reload 9mm, I find it it still a little cheaper plus I enjoy it. I laugh though about firing 600 rounds through a gun and not expect it to be dirty! I have never seen any powder or load that will not show dirt after 600 rds, I dont worry about it at all, I just clean the gun after every shooting.
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i reload 9mm's, and people often ask why when 9mm is cheap

first of all you cannot compare it to cheap wwb, or cci, you can compare it to the 20.00 a box match grade 9mm ammo, that is more fair, also for i.d.p.a. you can dictate your own pf, here is my load for 9mm

124 grain fmj

4.0 grains of tightgroup

makes 133-135 pf

i also buy it in 10,000 round lots, and it cost me between 5-6 bucks per 100
  • 7.62x397.62x39 Member Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did you ever try Wolf, it might be a little cleaner....
  • tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you can also load 147 gr right to the power factor or IPSC, more contollable than 115gr
  • bangbangusabangbangusa Member Posts: 69 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    231 powder, all day long. It's alot cleaner than unique, etc.