In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Learning to shoot my hk..questions..

DomindartDomindart Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
the gun has a lot of recoil that seems uncontrolable.. im new so im patient at learning..

but im considering getting something a bit smaller to make more controllable as a gun..

its a 40 usp compact hk

im getting better but it seems like a rapid fire would be impossible.. should it get easier?

the less grip on the handle the worse.. but i was told to not grip hard.. what is right grip to maintain okay control..?? the harder i grip the more control..

aiming? do i pin the crosshairs ON the bullseye or directly below/above etc.?

thnx for the help!

[:D]

Comments

• Options
    MrOrangeMrOrange Member Posts: 3,012
    edited November -1
    I thought there was some kind of law that everybody in Smyrna had to shoot Glocks?

Anyway: The classic answer about grip is to grab the handle about like you'd hold onto a hammer to pound a nail. It's easier to rip off machinegun-like fire with a harder grip, but that has limited usefulness.

I'm one of the crowd that thinks that, short of a .500 snubby, recoil problems are mostly mental. I've had newbies handle .357s without much trouble... after I had them put in ear plugs AND wear earmuffs, on an outdoor range, with tinted safety glasses.

Just realize that no matter how much bounce and blast there is, it's not going to hurt you. The recoil you're getting from a USP .40 is about what you'd experience if you held an empty gun and somebody next to you reached over and racked the slide, which is another trick I use.

The point-of-aim/point-of-impact question depends on personal preferences and the game in play. Generally, and for defensive use, I like the group center to be just barely above the top of the front sight, because I don't like to obscure what I need to see to hit.
    toocb.jpg

Crosshairs??
  • Options
    ContacFrontContacFront Member Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Recoil in a USP 40?

I have a USP45 and find rapid follow up shots simple, my Glock 19 is more snappy than my USP in my opinion.

Are the grips too big for you?

If you do not have 360 degree, isometric tension on the grip the gun will jump.
  • Options
    DomindartDomindart Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    thnx for the tips..

If you do not have 360 degree, isometric tension on the grip the gun will jump. ....I have no idea what that is..!

the grip seems fine, fits and feels nice in my palm..

thnx again.. [;)]
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Domindart,

I think what ContactFront is saying is that you need equal hand tension all the way around the grip of the pistol. Without enough finger pressure around the front of the pistol grip it will want to rock back, pivoting on center at the web where your thumb and forefinger come together. This causes you to totally lose your target and sight picture. For this reason you need to squeeze the grips with firm pressure. If you use a double grip and tend to squeeze the front of the grip between your hands, but don't have your shooting hand firmly against the back of the grip it will do the same thing.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    try this

grip like you normally would, but grip a bit tighter while watching your front sight, you will see a little bit of movement

now relax your strong hand a bit, and tighten your grip with your weak hand, watch how much less movement you have

this is assuming you have the correct grip in the first place, both thumbs should be pointing towards your target, strong hand placed around the gun with your weak hand fingers in the grooves of your strong hand, your weak wrist should have a slight cant to it, and you weak hand index finger should not be in front of the trigger guard, but underneath it

i know there will be naysayers on the grip here, but read what the pros do

http://www.uspsa.org/gmTips/tip01.html
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A small but important item- I assume you are firing from a standing position. Look at your feet. I see a lot of shooters with their feet side by side shoulder width apart. As you extend your arms, do you lean back to counter the weight of your arms? If so, your shoulders will be back, your hips pushed forward. VERY unstable posture- I can give you a light push and you will fall backwards. If you are a righty, try stepping forward a half step with your LEFT foot- still keeping feet apart. Turn right foot out a little. More stable, less likely to get pushed by the recoil. I use a simple two handed grip- right hand snug on grip, left hand palm up under the grip, fingers wrapped around right hand. Yeah, I know- it makes the purists shudder- but it works for me.