In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Freebore

I have a Ruger Rifle in 35 Whelon Cal, 1 in 14 twist, (I think) any way I have over 1/2 inch in freebore, any one out their know why.
I know what freebore is for, but why on a 35 whelon that's not a high pressure cal. Also I think the slow twist would not shoot heavy slugs, but it loves 250 gr. Winchester slugs.

Comments

• sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Chuck,

The .35 Whelen has had quite a number of bullets in it's range in spite of it's reduced popularity today and what little reloading information there is on it. This "feed any length through it" philosophy is one reason. Also, Weatherby uses freebore to help with velocity performance. This may also be the case also in your rifle. Any boost to a .35 Whelen is a good boost. It is actually a pretty sound design but just not keeping up wih velocities with the heavier rounds.

As far as the twist rate goes, remember it's not weight but rather length in proportion to diameter. The .35 calibers take a lot less length than do smaller diameter calibers to gain a lot of weight. It's common to see a lot of big bore rifles with 1-14" and 1-16" twists.
  • chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
    Thanks Sandwarrior.[:)]Does any body else want to come in? Or was this too hard of a question?
    [:(][:(][:(]
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    chuck,

"Or was this too hard of a question?"

Not a great technique to ingratiate yourself with the members.

Anyway...

The SAAMI drawings that I have indicate there are the following dimensions in front of the neck in a standard .35 Whelen chamber:

0.0251" in the transition angle

0.250" in the leade (what you refer to as "freebore")

0.1489" in the throat where the angle narrows to .347" in diameter.

0.424" total length in front of the neck.

Considering that most of the commercial rifle manufacturers cut a slightly longer leade and/or throat in the chamber, you appear to have about the right amount in combined lengths.

There is a variance of 1:10", 1:12", 1:14" and 1:16" for this cartridge. The 1:14" is perfectly acceptable for the .35 Whelen. It will handle bullets with a length of 1.373" long and virtually all of the standard bullets up through 275 gr. fit within that length. The only exception will be if Barnes decides to create a heavy .35 caliber bullet for a use other than the Whelen. But that happening is highly improbable. Your hesitation is not necessary since the 1:14" twist in your barrel is just fine.

Best.