In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

IDPA here I come!

EdgeEdge Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
First off, to those of you who offered invaluable advice when I asked about this topic a month or so ago, thank you!!

More questions, please.

I've decided to go semi-auto instead of wheel to compete so I am on the market for a .38 super. I've heard Kimber's are great, but Taurus is a better price but I'm not sure about quality. Which do y'all think is better for the money?

Does anyone think I would do better with a 9mm?

I do okay with a 1911 at the pistol range, but for IDPA, I feel more comfortable with something in a smaller caliber.

One thing's for sure, it's time for me to pick one and stick with it!! I've figured out I'm just making it harder on myself changing guns instead of practicing with the same one all the time. DUH!! rolleyes002.gif

Edge

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello if you reload you can load lighter target type loads for your 1911type 45ACP if you dont reload you can get a 9MM or 38 super TOP HALF for your 45aACP pistol all you need to do to switch from one to the other is the ejector
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you go with a 38 super I suggest that you use 38 super COMP brass if you reload. You may need to tune the extractor a bit but it doesn't have the rim like the standard 38 super and is more reliable. Several companies sell this brass but Starline is the most popular. If you don't reload you might want to go 9mm or 45 acp because these will be alot cheaper to shoot and the varity of guns chambered for these is much higher than 38 super.
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    Most of the people that I shoot IDPA with, use 9mm. It is mainly because of ammo cost. I use a Taurus 99 9mm because I can carry it cocked and locked the same as my 1911s. I buy 9mm 115 gr Blazers from Acadamy Sports for less than $5 a box of 50. During competition, it is hard to pick up fired brass. We shoot in a lot of grassy areas that make it difficult to find brass. You generally have to wait till the match is over to pick up brass. If you want to use a 38 Super, be sure to mark your cases with an identifing mark.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Luckily I have a great buddy who is a former cop and also has had his own distributorship for the last 37 years. He reloads .38 supers 130g for $9.00 a box. I'm assuming that's 50 rounds since he didn't specify otherwise. The only catch is I have to let him know a week or so in advance (he has 5 reloading presses at last count).

Mr. EE is so adamant I stick with the Kimber .38 super and after extensive research, I have to agree. It's a bit pricey, but I haven't found anything I like better.

Of course, it never fails.....I have to have dental surgery first before I can buy the gun....dammit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And just when I had my financial act together too!! CRAP!!
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Edge,
    Don't buy a gun on ANYONE'S say so......yet.

If your going to compete, and be even a little serious about it, you have to have a gun that YOU are comfortable with. One that fits YOU. One that YOU get a "natural point of aim" from. For instance, the cant on the grip of a Glock does NOT give "me" a natural point of aim, but some friends of mine can't shoot anything else.

Get one that fits YOUR hand. My wife took over a year to find one that she was COMPLETELY comfortable with.

Then consider the features you want. Do you want a slide lock, that you have to take off every time you draw? Like on a 1911 style gun, or, something like a SIG that has no external safeties to mess with once you draw it.

See how much effort it takes, to pull the trigger, in the double action position. You don't want a 14 lb trigger pull, when a 7 lb is available. You may want to have a trigger job done on whichever gun you get.

Are you able to use the sights...WELL? There are many different kinds. If you can't line up the sights "quickly" you can't hit the target "quickly" either. I know some that (for close targets at least) hardly ever use the sights, they just "point shoot" but for longer distances you will need to be able to use the sights.

The location/kind of mag release is important also. The standard "one sided" releases work well for some, others prefer the ambidextrous ones. While others like the release "in" the trigger guard, like on a HK USP.

About the caliber you will shoot. You may want to learn a little about the "power factor" and how it effects your scoring. There isn't too much difference between the 38 super, and the 9mm as far as that goes. In the long run, the 9mm may end up being cheaper to shoot.

You have some time to do some shopping before you buy, since the dental comes first. Look around at what's out there, and find one that YOU will be comfortable with.

Or.....nevermind, just buy the Kimber. [;)][:D][:D]
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    .38 super brass is expensive, and at most big matches you will loose 150+ rounds, and not readily availible if you run short, 9mm is the way to go, and a glock 34 is even better, you can shoot esp, or ssp with one gun, reloads are like cheating, parts are cheap, cleaning is a breeze, out of 10,000 plus rounds since march i have yet to have one malfunction

i made ssp master in 18 months from my first draw from a holster, six months after i went to a model 34
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lot of good points above, I will add...

1. Best I can tell, IDPA ESP specifications were written FOR .38 Super. I think Bill W. wanted people to have a place to shoot single stack Supers that were no longer competitive for IPSC. So it would be hard to go wrong with a .38 Super if you don't mind paying for the ammunition.

2. You can LEARN to shoot about anything; so long as it is functionally reliable and meets the rules, you can at least get started with it.

3. You are not taking marriage vows. If you start with one gun and want to go to another, it doesn't take a lawyer to make the change, just some money. I recommend shooting a given pistol at least six months, jumping around from gun to gun every week or month is not productive.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sorry, I fell off the face of the earth. I tend to do that.....[:D]

Anyway, this coming sunday is my first shoot. I'm going with my Taurus .38 since that's the one I'm most comfortable with and it will be at least two more months before all the dental work will be finished. I have to get an implant. Lucky me.

Great advice as always. Thanks y'all!

Wish me luck!! I don't mind missing the targets as much as I mind shooting a hostage...that's just not playing nice.

Hawk, thanks for making me laugh with point #3. Very well said.

Pick, excellent......between being a small female and a southpaw to boot, choosing a gun I can shoot comfortably can be a bit of a challenge to say the least......

I'll let y'all know how it goes....unless I shoot a hostage, then I'd be too embarrassed[:I]

[:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    GOOD luck.
    Let us know, even if you shoot a hostage.
    They are supposed to get down, when the shooting starts. [:o)] [:D] [:D]
  • Options
    knucklehead14knucklehead14 Member Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Use what you carry.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    This is REALLY embarrassing....[:I][:I][:I]

I shot TWO hostages! [xx(][xx(] Oh well, I guess that's not too bad for my first time out. I will try again this sunday. I decided to go with my S&W model 65. I changed the pachmyers to some hogues - very nice exotic wood ones at that. Not cheap, but at least now it fits perfectly in my little hands.

I decided to skip on the new Kimber for now and bought a pet blue-tongued skink instead. I named him Emmett. Anybody wanna see a picture of him? [:D]
  • Options
    shootlowshootlow Member Posts: 5,425
    edited November -1
    quote:I shot TWO hostages!
    any one that stays standing up in a gun fight needs taken out of the gene pool[:D]
    dont feel bad i shot 2 of then in the head last week in the sectional championship
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the update Edge, no reason to be embarrassed.

At a match earlier this year, there was a stage where we were using cardboard pictures of people, as the hostages. (nice pictures) Before my turn, I was clowning around saying that I wanted to shoot "THAT" particular hostage, right in the head. We had been informed at the walk through, that shooting "certain" hostages, was going to get you a procedural. (60 second penalty)

Sure enough, even though I had NO real intention of shooting it, when I did shoot that stage, yup, put one right between the eyes. I did makeup the shot needed on the bad guy. Needless to say, I didn't score very well that day. (Oh, and I was the ONLY one to shoot that particular hostage, but it was a perfect shot, right between the eyes)

Sure, post a pic of Emmett.
    Let's see what he looks like.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:(60 second penalty)

WOW now that's a penalty, what kind of match does that?

i went the longest time without hitting a no shoot, and have only hit a couple, one being two weeks ago when they almost covered up the entire target, you had a choice take a 1 or a three or go for the zero about the size of a base ball at 20 yrds, of course half my bullet nicked the no shoot, oh well remember shoot throughs do count
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1fan
    quote:(60 second penalty)

WOW now that's a penalty, what kind of match does that?
    It's at one of the clubs I shoot at, they set up their own (unaffiliated) matches.
    The penalties are a little different than what I was used to.
    A miss will cost you 20 seconds.
    A no shoot = 40 seconds.
    A procedural = 60 seconds.

With penalties like that, I'll tell you what, to stay competitive, it sure makes you pay attention to each and every shot. A penalty or two, and you just doubled your time in the match.

Then when you bounce back to IDPA or IPSC, you can REALLY hose the stage, because you know the penalties are not that punishing. (comparatively speaking)

On the indoor combat matches, we do shoot a stage in the dark with flashlights, then a stage of lowlight, no flashlight. This is one of the reasons that I like to go there. Don't have any other matches where I can shoot in the dark. TONS of fun. [:D]

The club puts on or hosts a few matches.
    You can take a look-see here.

http://www.boulderrifleclub.com/activity.html
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i shoot at an indoor match almost every week, i myself do not like shooting In the dark there, because there is always a new shooter, and they can be pretty scary in the light, safety overrides my willingness to shoot in the dark, i have done it several times, and feel it is something i do not like to practice to often at a match, i know all the pros of doing it, but until that one day that may or may not come i do not need to risk an accident, the actual odds of needing this practice do not outweigh the odds of the safety issue