In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

help me get started rifle reloading

ddhotbotddhotbot Member Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭✭✭
ok guys be easy on me lol.been along time since i reloaded any rifle cases.i have an old lyman press,also have a lee turret press.i am wanting too reload 308 and 223,which dies should i buy?what powder can be used for both?neck size?full length resize?where can i buy bulk bullets cheap?any help is apprec.don

Comments

• Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You need a 2 die set and shell holders for both the 308 and 223. If you have the shell holder for a 45ACP, than you won't need to purchase one of those for the 308.
    Brands are fairly equil, LEE die sets come with a shell holder.
    Go with a FL (Full Length) set, you can always back it off some to do PFL (Partial Full Length) sizing.
    Get either/both the Sierra and/or Nosler manual. Both of these list the powder that proformed best in their test rifles (you might get lucky and find one powder that both rifles shoot good with, but you might hit the lottary also).
    You will need a caliper, a "powder funnel" and a good powder scale. A "Powder measure" will speed things up, but you can get a good start using just the scale and a tea spoon. I'd recogmend also picking up a "hand priming" tool (LEE uses special shell holders while the RCBS unit uses the same shell holder as your press does). You can make your own loading blocks fairly easy

Your "old" Lyman press is a good choice & would be where I recogmend you start out at.
    Get the manual(s) first, and study them (esp the "How To" section).
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ddhotbot,

The best powder to use in both cases is 4895. Notice I said both not each. Each may have a better powder to use. But 4895 gives you all you want in each case. Now that you can get Hodgdon Extreme 4895 (less loss of velocity in low temps)I recommend that.

You will hear a lot about the different qualities of different dies. I like Lee collet dies for not stretching cases. Their RGB's are the lowest cost on the market. I like RCBS because all of their parts screw together. Redding puts a very high quality die out there. Hornady's new custom dies are easy to reload with. There are a lot to choose from and all will do the job. -Good luck
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would use RCBS Full Length dies. Hodgdon BLC(2) works well in both 223 & 308 and can be purchased as U.S. surplus powder WCC846. I am not a big fan of Lee dies but their hand primming tool can't be beat. It is fast, reliable and easy. Muc h better than the RCBS hand priming tool.
  • Options
    beararms2beararms2 Member Posts: 79 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sandwarrior is right on the mark with powder choice (IMR-4895) that will work with both. I'm assuming since you want something you can load both rounds with AND the fact that you have chosen two military rounds to reload that you have access to some once fired brass and just want to load up a bunch of ammo to stockpile or shoot up. [;)] If this is the case, or you are wanting to reload surplus ammo KNOW HOW YOUR CASE IS PRIMED: military brass has a different depriming technique.
    As far as bullets go, Blue-Star Brass and Cartridge ( www.blue-star-inc.com ) usually has some of the best prices on good bullets for this purpose, especially when you buy in bulk.

I have access to lots of brass for the two and load both rounds for the above reason. Glad to hear you are wanting to reload; ammunition ain't getting any cheaper and crafting ammo is fun! [:p]
  • Options
    ddhotbotddhotbot Member Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks guys! where can i find this wc846 powder?
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check out the Shotgun News there are several delaers that sell it in there. They usually sell WCC846 in 8lb jugs and you can get several for one hazmat charge. I would buy a pound of BLC(2) and try it to make sure that you like it before you buy bulk. Wideners has a website and possibly Aim surplus. If you can find it local or at a gunshow it may be cheaper as you won't have to pay shipping and hazmat. P.S. although you can use the same load data I would suggest that if you work up your loads using the BLC(2) especially if you are at the top of the scale that you also work up to that load with the WCC846. Don't just load the same right off the bat until you know for sure that you don't have pressure problems and so forth.
  • Options
    deadeye46deadeye46 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    hotbot,don't overlook WW748.I use it for both of those calibers and get very good results in my Encores.
  • Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lot's of powders load well in both cartridges. Among some of the best combo powders for both are H-Varget, IMR4895, H-4895, W748, and BLC2.
    If you have other small to medium size case cartridges other than these two that you may load later on, one of the 4895s will probably load well in the widest range of cartridges (may not be the best in all but will get the job done).
    I wouldn't start buying large volumes of powder (8lb kegs,etc.) until you determine what your particular guns like or you may end up with enough powder for mediocre results to last along time [:D]. Same advice goes for bullets until you figure out what type/weight, etc. they like best. Just see what you can find the cheapest and buy a pound of powder and a few bullets to try.
    Either press you have will work fine to start.
    I would personally stay with RCBS or Redding dies, but any of the others mentioned will work. Just start with a standard Full Length two die set and don't forget to get the shell holders if the dies don't come with them. You can buy the neck sizer die separately later if you want/need it.
    Good Luck.................[^]
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    I would use Varget as my first choice.

For blasting ammo, data 68, 2230C, WC846, or surplus 4895 will be fine.
  • Options
    plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    I have had tremdous success with IMR4895 in both calibers.

I would spend the extra money and get the "competition die" set. I find them easier to work with when seating bullets.

RCBS or any other will do.

Note if you are reloading the same shells for different guns you should compare and use a factory Over all length (OAL).

Read again the instructions in the front of any good reloading book.