In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

progressive buy ?

gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have been loading with the same two presses since 1976. Like you others, I found the 'sweet load' for most of my guns, handguns in particular.
I take pride in taking care of each step and component so it is all consistent to produce those 'sweet spot loads'. I realize that finding the right load combination produces the payoff more than the extra attention to each step.
I have been reading every article I can, going to every demo, etc. on progressive reloaders. With the very good set-ups with primer checks, charge checks, etc. to avoid mistakes, it looks like the next logical step is motorized press.. Well, with that, then our loading has come full circle and is nearly 'comercial loaders'.

Have any of you progressive fellows found any step or process that the progressive setup is not as good as the single die press ?
I'll assume all the case examination, trimming, etc. is still done before you start loading.

The concept of producing loads at a rate similar to shooting them is very inviting.

Any and all replies appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    Same as any other reloading:

Consistent powder drops
    Concise amount of powder
    Powder flow from measure to case
    Bullet seating depth
    Amount/consistency of crimp
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello you did not state what you wanted to load. I can only speak for pistol rounds and a limited number of calibers I have been shooting and loading BULLS-EYE pistol for 40+ years and loaded on just about every type of press Dillon has some very good presses BUT they do have problems with powder drop on getting constant weight, this plus some plastic primer feed parts that wear. They do have great customer service and support. If you want to load rifle this is the way to go . However if you load pistol I have a number of Star Reloaders set up for 38 ,380, 9MM and 45acp wadcutter and 230 GRAIN ball. I bought all these units used and the one I load wadcutter 45ACP I have loaded over 200,000 rounds and only worn or broken part that I have replaced was one decapping pin 9MM case stuck inside a 45ACP.I have tried the full treatment of loading 100 super match grade on a single station press Trimming cases weighing bullets, cases, powder charge and reaming primer flash holes . with the gun in a RANSOM REST or barrel in my barrel tester the group size at 50 yards were just as good with the STAR loaded ammo . Feel free to email me if any questions(.
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been loading for 25 years and went to a Dillon 550B about 7 years ago. I actually have more consistent powder drops from my Dillon measures over my RCBS measures. I load a full range of rifle and pistol calibers from 9mm to 300 win mag. I load all pistol and 223 with very good consistancy. I use an RCBS automatic measure for the rest of my rifle loads and use a funnel to charge on my Dillon. I have not checked the consistancy of thr larger charges on my measures so they may work just fine but I prefer to be more precise with them. I use my RCBS to size my rifle brass because I prefer to not have to tumble loaded ammo to get the lube off although I know many people that do. I prefer the Dillon 550B over the larger models because IMO you can still load lots of rounds and be able to keep an eye and have the "feel" for things. Some offerings like the "low powder sensor" are great for the 650 and 1050 models but are wasted extras on the 550. In my opinion if you can't keep an eye on the powder level right in front of your face then you don't have any business reloading. I Dillon progressives are great. I sold Dillons for several years and the biggest problem was when people were just starting out they would go to fast. Take it nice and slow get the "feel" for it and the speed will come later and at that point not at the exspense of the quality of your rounds.
  • Options
    gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have received good feedback...thank you.

From what I read here, I should get the same load from a progressive as I do from my older 'single' presses. If there is a small difference, it probably would not be noticable to me.

Thanks Again
  • Options
    Nimitz9Nimitz9 Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been using a Dillon 650 for about 10 years, only for pistol. I have found the powder measure to be very good, no problems. I tried loading pistol on a single stage but it took too long for me when I want to produce a lot of shells. I usually load in 500 round blocks.

When I want to load something special, like a maximum load or a hunting load or something where I only want 25 or 50 rounds, then I load on a single stage.

One downside is that the conversion kits are about $50, so if you like lots of calibers then it can get pricey. I really like the Dillon dies too, when I use them I can load the fastest.

Changing calibers isn't too bad, I like to keep the bullet seating and crimping in different stages so that actually makes the die set up pretty fast. There are a lot of things going on with each pull of the handle so you have to pay attention: make sure you still have primers and the powder looks good and things feel right as you pull the handle. When I get in a groove and things are flowing the rounds just pour out - it is great.
  • Options
    2BGood2BGood Member Posts: 119 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    gotstolefrom,,,,,,I use a Hornady press I like the operation its smooth and percise. I broke a case retainer spring and Hornady sent me a couple more, seems like a good company and stands behind there products. I like the bushing makes changing calibers very fast and easy.
    An automatic, five-station press, Hornady's Lock-N-Load APT lets us switch dies, powder dies, check dies, bullet seaters or crimp dies without changing the whole die head. Change one die or all with one quick twist. The Lock-N-Load AP comes complete and has extra bushings. Its cheaper then the dillon presses if that matters to you.

Any way I like mine
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I can add that the Lee entry level Pro 1000 progressive press works.... but with trouble. It IS faster than a single stage, but you have to really pay attention to it to make sure the primer feeds and the powder drops. Call it a 'semi progressive' press, probably not better than a regular turret press and more trouble. I have yet to load 50 rounds without a jam of some sort.

This and their powder scale are the only things of Lee's for which I can't post simply outstanding reviews. Say 3 out of 5 stars.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    you guys forget perry has been loading since before the invent of smokeless powder[:)]

i myself have yet to find a powder measure that can guarantee accuracy better than 1/10 grain, i have loaded over 40,000 rounds on my Dillon with no problem, some scoff at them due to price, they are worth it, mine still looks brand new, i had a friend who recently broke a decapping pin for his second time with lee dies, i showed him the three pieces of brass i have that turned sideways on me, and my Dillon dies just poked right through them

quote:In my opinion if you can't keep an eye on the powder level right in front of your face then you don't have any business reloading.

agreed, i don't let mine get half empty
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For the money spent the Dillon is V-E-R-Y hard to beat. You get the quality of ammo you want out of it. I found the powder dispensing to be very consistent with 231 and Unique. A smooth operating technique will produce ammo that is second to none. A benefit is the large number of stations available to put things like taper crimp dies in.