In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What's your opinion on the Lee Loadall

CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
Anyone used the Lee loadall for reloading their 12ga? $35 just seems to cheap. Should I save up for a nice MEC? I just plan on reloading probably 750-1000shells a year, most for hunting. No competition shooting. I just want to build my inventory and reload for hunting dove, pheasant, and quail.

I can buy 25# of lead shot at my local outfitter for $1/lb. That's #4 - #8 shot. Even some buckshot. I will probably reuse me own hulls. I can choose from a vast array of wads from $4/250. I plan no using Hodgdon powder. I'm open as far as a primer choice.

I already reload metallic cartridges and know that literature is a must. What shotshell reloading books should I buy?

How many trips through the process can a single hull take before becoming weak and brittle? I know you can squeeze 5-8 times out of a brass case, not sure about plastic hulls.

Like I said, I'm not going to reload 1000's of shells a year. Maybe 1000 tops.

I might not save much money(if any), but it will give me something to keep myself busy.'

Thanks in advance.
Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.

Comments

• Options
    drygulchdandrygulchdan Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used one for a while, but it is time consuming and for loading shells up for clays,it just not worth it. I buy the remington or estate for busting clays.
  • Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't use a Lee Loadall but have many years ago and have a friend that just loads some hunting ammo on one with good results and has for years.
    I use some Mec presses for gauges I don't shoot alot and have some high dollar Ponsness-Warren progressive presses for loading high volumes of target ammo.
    You could expect to load a box of shells about evey fifteen minutes on one, maybe a little faster if you really get after it -- If that will suit your purpose.
    I was always suprised at the good quality of the shells the Lee put out and my friend still uses his even though he could afford to buy anything else that he wanted. It suits his purpose.
    The main drawback I see to the lee is the bushings, as I think there is a better selection of sizes to vary your loads with a mec, etc., but for what it sounds like you want to do volume wise it should be a fine way to get started without much of an investment. You can always upgrade later if you start loading more.
    The lee is very light and will need to be secured tightly to your bench so it won't move around, but I guess that's true with any of them.
    I don't remember if the Lee resizes the base of the hull or not(it's been awhile) but if it doesn't and you are shooting more than one gun of the same gauge or reloading hulls that weren't shot in your gun it would be a good idea if you got one. Sometimes they don't fit well in a different gun if the brass hasn't been resized. Mec makes a separate resizer with a squeeze down collet, but by the time you bought both if needed you'll be getting close to the price of a mec sizemaster press which already has one. Just verify what the Lee has before you buy it.
    If you end up buying a mec, you can get a universal charge bar that will eliminate the need to buy all of the different bushing sizes. They allow you to adjust the size of the powder and shot cavity to taylor your loads.
    As far as hulls go some are worthless after one shot and won't recrimp worth a darn after one use. Typically these are found in the cheap ammo at places like Wal-Mart etc. and alot have aluminum bases rather than brass and cheap plastic up top (not to mention cheap soft shot in them that deforms on firing and doesn't pattern well either). That's why they are cheap.
    Some of the better hulls will reload over many times just like your brass casings will.
    Do yourself a favor before you start and aquire a batch of the same style hulls and get uniform with your components. They will load uniformly and you can get all the same type of primers, wads and powder.
    Get a copy of "The Gunlist" sales paper and look thru the reloading section. You can buy once fired quality hulls off of the shooting ranges and be good to go. Throw all your cheap ones away or give them to someone that pi$$ed you off.
    I'd recommend starting with Winchester AA or Remington STS hulls. They are good quality and reload many times. After you get into it more you can vary your different loads buy type of hull or color(ie:#8s=Red AA, Green STS= #6s,etc.).
    Wait until you get your hulls and reloading manuals to buy your other components (primers, wads, powder). Then you can determine which ones to buy from the manuals. They all load different and just a primer change can REALLY vary load pressure.
    If your leaning towards Hodgdon Powder(a very good choice) get a copy of the Hodgdon Shotshell Reloading Manual. Excellent book with most anything you need to know besides the reloading recipes for the different type hulls, etc. The only drawback is that it just lists the Hodgdon Brand powder loading info.
    If you really want to be set, also get a copy of the Lyman Shotshell Reloading Manual. It's probably the most complete source of shotshell data out there. If you want to get by with one book get the Lyman (it lists alot of data for the Hodgdon Powder too, in addition to many others).
    One last bit of advice:
    Buy good quality shot pellets. They make several types. The cheap soft stuff will flatten out when near the base of the shell when shot and will start falling sooner than the ones up front causing holes in your patterns. Get at least the Extra Hard Magnum Shot for good results. They also make extra hard plated shot, but it's pretty pricey unless your doing some serious shooting.
    Good Luck...............[^]
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow, temblor. Thanks ALOT!

It's a single stage press correct?
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    deadeye46deadeye46 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've used Lee Load-all presses for many years and if you're not going to shoot several hundred shells a week,they are just what the doctor ordered.Ya can't beat the price for a reloader that will last many years.They come with all the powder and shot bushings that you will ever need for hunting loads and/or target loads.Good luck and keep your powder dry.
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have worn out a couple of Loadalls.The best deal around for the money but they have little quirks like mine worked great on Winchester AA hulls but may or may not crimp others.
  • Options
    ZinderblocZinderbloc Member Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have both a 12 ga. and a 20 ga. Lee Loadall. I've used the same 12 ga. machine since the 1970's and have never had a problem. The Lee Loadall is the best shotshell machine for the money. I can certainly recommend it.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I have one. Works fine; if a tad slow. Sometimes the crimp isn't quite concentric, but for fun shooting I can't see that it matters. I can bust as many clays trap shooting with my lee load all ammo as I do with factory ammo. It does leak a little powder if you get fairly fine stuff, but I mean a LITTLE, perhaps 5 grains per hopper full. Unless you shoot several hundred per week, I'd go for it.