In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

reloading powder safes

wcoxy2003wcoxy2003 Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
i was thinking about getting something to store my powder in. i dont need anything big i have 3 1lb. bottles. any ideas where to look?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    that is fireproof. forgot to add that
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Whatever you store it in has to be vented/ventable. In case of fire you want the gases from burning powder to be un-confined. A wooden box works good, as does a file type drawer.
    IOW a lockable wood box, or drawer.

For "only" 3 1lb jugs, I'd place it on a shelf out of reach of children.

Smokeless powder is NOT a explosive, and in case of fire is less dangerous than spray cans and normal household chemicals (look under the sink and in the laundry room)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    makes sense to me. i just wondered. wooden box will do then. thanks
  • Options
    scottbscottb Member Posts: 65 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Small hazmat cabinets or lockers for a garage aren't too hard to find. It seems like alot for 3 cans of powder but could be used to store other stuff safely and out of reach- poisons, aerosols, paints, etc.
    I keep my powders on a top shelf in a kitchen cabinet, but then I'm a bachelor and know nobody is going to season burgers with my powders. *I am not recommending people store powder in their kitchen*
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Leave room for gallon sized jugs in your storage. You may find a hot deal on eight pounds of your favorite powder. Plus; as you shoot more you will find your powder will grow to about 20 pounds or so as a bare minimum. [:D]
  • Options
    RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I keep 3 one pound containers of gun powder in an ammo can.

3050.JPG
    Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Storage of ANY powder in a metal ammo can is not a good idea, IMHO. Containment turns it into a bomb- a wooden or carboard container, smokeless powder just burns. FWIW- if you have the room, get a fridge that does not work, and has magnetic door seal. Remove power cord. You now have an insulated cabinet. Good place to keep powder, spray cans of paint, etc etc. Stable temp for storage. Price is right, as well.