In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Dillion RL 550B die quesiton

knightriderknightrider Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
I am looking at getting this press for doing CAS. The reason why I am not looking at the Deal B is at some point I may want to reload rifle rounds and I don't want to have to buy another press just for that. Anyway I wanted to know if this press requires three dies or four. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    shootlowshootlow Member Posts: 5,425
    edited November -1
    i have 3 tool heads for my 550 the one set up for .223 has 2 rifle dies and it has the powder die
    size and decap
    powder
    seat and crimp
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I reload at least 25 different calibers on my 550. On most rifles except semi autos I use 2 die sets (sizing and seating). On pistol dies and semi auto rifles I use 3 die sets (sizing die, seating die and crimp die). You can use the seating die to crimp also in most cases but a seperate die makes your ammo more uniform and does a better job. Part of the caliber conversion includes a powder funnel that bells (if it's a pistol cartridge) and allows the powder from the measure to drop into the case. Dillon sells a "powder die" that this powder funnel fits into. So as far as an actual loading die set you would use a 2 or 3 die set and then you would use a Dillon powder die in the second station. Hope that helps.