In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How much money can I save reloading for the 12ga?

CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
I reload for pistols as it is. 38sp, 357mag, 40S&W, and 44Mag.

I save considerable money by reloading. My question is, what kind of money can I save reloading 2 3/4 or 3" 12ga field loads comparable to factory field loads? Probably some #2-4 shot for Turkey and #6-8 for pheasant/quail/dove or clay shooting.
Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.

Comments

• Options
    dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    Need to ask yourself, honestly....how many rounds a year do I shoot the the shotgun? If it less than a couple thousand, it is not worth it.
  • Options
    ThrockmortonThrockmorton Member Posts: 814 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    very little compared to reloading metallic stuff.Of course that is compairng the 'cheap stuff' that I sometimes buy to what I reload.Premium shells vs. reloads are another thing.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    the amount of powder needed really does not make it worth while anymore, a case of trap loads are pretty cheap compared to the cost of the components, not including the time involved
  • Options
    shootlowshootlow Member Posts: 5,425
    edited November -1
    when i can get AA 1 1/8 oz for 49.00 a flat
    and Estate 1 1/8oz for 38-43 a flat it aint worth it to reload
  • Options
    deadeye46deadeye46 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I answered your other ad so I might as well put my .02 here.Like the other folks stated target shells can be found reasonably priced.On the other hand if you're talking the heavier hunting shells,you can probably save up to half of the cost of a box of shells.The Load-all you mentioned on your other post will load several different "magnum" loads too.Good luck.
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    I have all the stuff for reloading 12ga at home and it very seldom gets used anymore. I have not checked price on componts lately, but for what I can buy them for right now my time is worth more. Powder is the big one that kills you. I cant remember for sure how much powder I was using but it was about 35gr of Green Dot. That will load about 200rds/lb. Powder is between $15-20/lb. I am buying remington club loads #8 for $36.90/250. That is pretty hard to beat, and that will cycle my semi autos. If you are loading the turkey stuff it will be cheeper but you will have to load A LOT to make up for the cost of the equipment. Shotgun press are pretty cheep and like all reloading it is kinda fun. I would say it comes down if you want to do it for fun or if you are doing it to save money. I would check price of the components where you live and see where you come out for what you want to load. If the price is close to what you can buy loaded ammo for and you want to I say do it. Here is the trick to loading shotgun, the presses are cheep enough to put on your Bday/christmas list [:D]. Here is the one I have and really like it. It is a nice step between an expensive "pro" type and the "cheep" ones. I see the price has gone up a bit, I got mine for my Bday about 10yrs ago, I belive it was about $70 then. http://www.mecreloaders.com/productline/600JrMark5.asp
  • Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    http://www.trapshooters.com/rlcalcadv.htm

When you get into some of the heavy field and magnum loads you can save quite a bit. Check out the cost calculator above to see if it will be worth your while.
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dakotashooter2
    http://www.trapshooters.com/rlcalcadv.htm

When you get into some of the heavy field and magnum loads you can save quite a bit. Check out the cost calculator above to see if it will be worth your while.

Awesome link!

They have a basic calculator at "Handloads.com", but it is for metallica cartridges. I had to add the wads somewhere, and calculate how many loads I get out of a bag od shot.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    rollnblockrollnblock Member Posts: 384 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "I cant remember for sure how much powder I was using but it was about 35gr of Green Dot."

HOlly chit!!!! I shot 19 grains of green dot under 1 1/8 oz lead for 1200 feet per sec. would step up to 21 grains for duck loads. hate to see what 35 would do.
  • Options
    rollnblockrollnblock Member Posts: 384 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    just for info shot is now up to 23-26 $ for a 25pound bag. powder in a 8 pound keg is within 10 of 100$ either way. primers the last time i bought them 1 month ago 115 for 5000.