In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Anyone load/shoot a .300 Win. Mag.?

300Win_Mag300Win_Mag Member Posts: 433 ✭✭✭
My Grandfather and I load everything for my Rifle (Model 70 300 Win. Mag.) and I didn't know if anyone else here shot one and what they used.

Currently I am shooting a "varmint" load that consists of Winchester brass, winchester primers, 72.5 grains of IMR4350, and a 125 gr. Sierra Pro-Hunter Spitzer. I don't remember the trimmed case length and overall length but I might not want to give out such top secret information as that. [;)] At two hundred yards you can cover 5 shots with a nickel. This is with the factory issued Simmons 3-9x33. The main function of this load is to rid this world of coyotes.

I have a box of Sierra 168 gr. HPBT MatchKings that I am wanting to develop a load for and shoot long distances with it.

Comments

• Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    74.0gr RL22 under the 178/180gr pills has worked great in the past.
  • Options
    leadburnerleadburner Member Posts: 81 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My all around load is 72 grs. H-4350 behind a Hornady 150 grn. SST.It'll kill anything in ND.[:)][:)]
  • Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    300Win_Mag, I'm assuming you want to use the 168gr Sierra bullets that you said you have.
    Most 300 Win.s will shoot those well with the same powder you're loading in your varmit load (IMR4350).
    Right around 72grs of the IMR4350 usually shoots well in most accurate guns. You may need to start with a little lighter powder charge increase it by .2-.3grs (tenths of a gr.) at a time shooting groups to find what your gun likes. Usually some where between 71 and 73 grs will yield good results with the bullets you have.
    I've shot this load for years:
    300 Win Mag.
    Winchester case(2.61")
    Winchester Large Rifle Magnum Primer (WLRM)
    Sierra 168gr MatchKing HPBT bullet
    72.0 grs IMR4350 Powder for approx. 3100fps w/24" bbl
    NOTE -- *Maximum Load = 74.1grs* for approx 3200fps w/24" bbl

This is the accuracy load that has been listed in the Sierra Manuals for years and has always shot well for me too, give or take a little on the powder charge with the components you have.
    There are lots of other possible good combinations but this should work with what you have on hand for good results.
    Good Luck....................[^]