In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Need a Pet Load for a .257 Weatherby

GoldenDog1GoldenDog1 Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
Any Weatherby .257 reloaders out there who might help me get a quick start with my reloading efforts? My Japanese .257 Mark V Lazermark provides <3/4" groups with Weatherby 115gr Nosler Ballistic Tips, which is great for me! I would like to enjoy this rifle at the range without having to take out another mortgage. While I understand each rifle may have its own likes/dislikes, I was hoping to get a jumpstart if someone has already found a recipe pet load that can provide similar accuracy groupings to what I get with storebought. I would like to stay with either a 115 or 120gr bullet (deer). Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    rovernutrovernut Member Posts: 256 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    MY new Vanguard .257 WM really likes Barnes 115 XXX and IMR 7828, to the tune of 0.5" groups at 100. Wont say how much 7828, lets just say a max load, and OAL set to the same as your factory ammo. These babies will shoot, just have to play with them a little. OAL seems to be very important, keep 'em short!
  • Options
    darksiderdarksider Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    you might try 64gr of imr 4350 in my lyman book it is listed as factory duplication with the 117gr bullet 45th edition
  • Options
    jimbowbyjimbowby Member Posts: 3,496
    edited November -1
    -[8D]-Yo Golden-I don't hunt, but I've got a bunch of Sierra 120 gr HPBT and I reload for this Weatherby--

Originally posted by GoldenDog1
    Any Weatherby .257 reloaders out there who might help me get a quick start with my reloading efforts? My Japanese .257 Mark V Lazermark provides <3/4" groups with Weatherby 115gr Nosler Ballistic Tips, which is great for me! I would like to enjoy this rifle at the range without having to take out another mortgage. While I understand each rifle may have its own likes/dislikes, I was hoping to get a jumpstart if someone has already found a recipe pet load that can provide similar accuracy groupings to what I get with storebought. I would like to stay with either a 115 or 120gr bullet (deer). Thanks.
    [/quot

--imgp0044mr5.jpg

--imgp0043jt8.jpg

--I have a lot of IMR powders, but while using IMR4831 at 64 gr's and using the books OAL of 3.250 " . I can keep at least 4 in a group of 3/4', then the BBL starts to heat up and it goes over 1' . So careful with your time between shots after 3 shots --Heats up fast. You might want to start loads at 61 grs -to ease into the max--Good luck--

--[:o)][:o)]--JIMBO