In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

oops, a bullet went thru the wash

alex valex v Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
When clearing my pistol I put the round that came out the pipe into my shirt pocket, then the shirt into the washing machine. So what do I do with this squeaky clean bullet? I don't want to fire it, do I?
Alex

Comments

• Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    chances are it will fire just fine.
  • Options
    matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
    Worst that could happen is the powder got wet and it won't go off.
  • Options
    awindsawinds Member Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    After you pull the bang switch, be sure to check the bore for any obstruction (i.e.the bullet). Safety First.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i would just throw it away 5 maybe 10 cents is not worth a squib load, if it is a reload definitely, if it is factory some do seal them but why take the chance, you may get it lodged in your barrel, and in my case i may get it mixed up with competition ammo, and that's the last thing i want to deal with at a match
  • Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ditto what 1911a1fan said -- Just toss it or pull it down and reuse the brass and bullet.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Let's see now- potential max savings- a 25 cent cartridge. Max possible loss- paying my gunsmith $150 to remove a bullet from a squib load that is wedged in the barrel. Hmmmm. Toss it out. 'Tain't worth it, McGee.
  • Options
    alex valex v Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Okeydokey, I threw it out. There's another 999 bullets in the case I can choose from, thanks !
    Alex
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 11b6r
    Let's see now- potential max savings- a 25 cent cartridge. Max possible loss- paying my gunsmith $150 to remove a bullet from a squib load that is wedged in the barrel. Hmmmm. Toss it out. 'Tain't worth it, McGee.
    You pay a smith to remove a stuck bullet? Yow, if I did that I'd be in it $1000 or so by now. I just tap it out with a hardwood rod of proper diameter.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jonk- in most cases, I use a length of brass rod slightly smaller than the bore- but have had a rifle round or two over the years that needed help from a pro.