In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ok 17 Remington guys

rotaxpowerrotaxpower Member Posts: 215 ✭✭✭
I am going to pick up my 17 next friday and was wondering what you experice was on reloading it. I have heard stories from "its easy to reload for, just like your 204" too "MY GOD! what are you thinking! if you can reload a 17 to get a 6" PATTERN your doing good!" [:D] I always like a challenge! So what are you guys useing to reload your 17's? Is there anything speacial to look out for? Thanks! [:)]

Comments

• dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    Nope...nothing special.

But, always a but...right?..... the neck is small and can be hard to chamfer.

If you are cleaning up the flash hole, you will probably have to order a flash hole reamer - none of the standard sizes fit, of course.

I have shot 20 gr VMax's, 25 gr Hornady hollow points, & Berger 25 gr through mine. The Bergers were the most accurate.

I just received some 25 gr Hornady VMax's, but have not loaded any yet.

If you have extra large hands, yes, it will be a pain to seat the bullet.

You will also need a smaller powder funnel. RCBS and others make one for this.

Longest confirmed kill on a large prairie dog - 488 yards. Tiny entrance hole and a 1.25" exit hole with the hollow points.

The 17 is not good in wind over 8 mph.

What flavor of rifle did you purchase?
  • temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dcloco covered it pretty well. I use to use a pair of tweezers to seat the bullet in the case mouth as I have very large hands as was mentioned.
    Keep it clean. That small bore will foul easily and needs to be cleaned often -- You'll need a 17 caliber cleaning rod too. The standard ones will be too big for the bore.
  • rotaxpowerrotaxpower Member Posts: 215 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got a 700 BDL. I already got all the 17 stuff I need as I reload a 204.
  • dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    You will not have any problems then.

Mine will group just a touch over 1/2" at 100 yards.

Mine likes H4895 and CCI 450 magnum small rifle primer. I did a couple hundred rounds of load workup when I purchased it used.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    The RCBS competition dies can help with seating the bullet. They are cut out on the side and you just drop the bullet in...it lines everything up for you and you don't have to hold that little bullet in place.