In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

ultra max 223 ammo

Does anybody know if this is military or commercial brass? I bought 500 rounds loaded with 40gr. nosler ballistic tips and want to know if the brass is worth keeping[:)]

Comments

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    what does the headstamp say? all the UM reloaded ammo i have is in lake city military and/or lc match brass.
  • Options
    ChetStaffordChetStafford Member Posts: 2,794
    edited November -1
    the head stamp is l c 04 or lc 00and really nothing else
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    L C =lake city I know some of this brass from the 50's and 60's was the best made new stuff ??? dont even know is the same outfit or someone using a respected name like Springfield and Rock Island did to mislead the public.
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lake City brass is great. I shoot and load thousands of rounds of LC brass every year. Be aware that the ammo you bought is loaded with once fired brass. This isn't a problem but brass only lasts so long so I wanted to make sure that you know it isn't new. I usually shoot mine between 5-6 times and then put it aside for a rainy day where I don't want to pick up brass.
  • Options
    Gunslinger2005Gunslinger2005 Member Posts: 282 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There was a thread a few days ago on the AR forum at 24 Hour Campfire. The guy had used the last of his own reloads in his Colt Match Target HBAR, and switched over to some Ultra Max he bought. On the sixth round, he had a KB, and blew up his upper receiver. He wasn't hurt but his upper was toast.

Back in the late 1990's I bought some .308/7.62 reloaded ammo (not Ultra Max) assembled with "once fired" IMI brass for use in one of my FAL's. The last round in a 20 round mag split from the neck all the way back to the base of the cartridge. It blew the spring, follower, and floor plate out of the bottom of the mag. The part of the mag below the mag well was puffed up like it was pregnant. No other damage was done. I don't buy reloads anymore.