In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

dirty barrel?

I bought a new.223 put about 50 rounds through it broke the barrel in like always then started
dialing the scope in was shooting pretty good groups then one sot hit dead center bullseye and everything went bad after that just started spraying all over the place had about 30-35 shots threw it with out cleaning would that cause it to go nuts like that?[:0]

Comments

• Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I wouldn't think so. I would check scope, scope mount, type of ammo, and bullet weight.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    what is your "break-in" proceedure?
    is your scope a known scope?
    what type of rifle?
  • Options
    ChetStaffordChetStafford Member Posts: 2,794
    edited November -1
    1 shot&clean 5 times then 5 shots& clean 2 times 10 shots&clean 1 time and normal shooting from then on the gun is a rossi single shot with a 6x24x50 varmint scope that was on it when I bought it not a good scope but the gun was shooting fine and went to hell in one shot
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    sounds like a scope problem to me, have you checked the mount and rings for tightness?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I would lean towards the scope if it WAS shooting well then went to hell. Either a bad scope, something loose in the rings or base,..or very bad copper fouling or hard carbon fouling. Clean it down to bare metal and run a few more rounds down it,...if it is still shooting poorly,..I would send the scope back for repair.
  • Options
    ChetStaffordChetStafford Member Posts: 2,794
    edited November -1
    I think it was really fouled pretty bad it took me a good little while to get it clean and it still needs one more run with the brush i used that foaming bore cleanerand it really had a blue tint to it wich is supposed to tell you that it is removing copper but the scope is my next stop IF the scope is jacked up I probably will just replace it but would like to have something similar it is a 6x24x50 I dont know how to describe it but the muzzle end of the scope is adjustable for yardage so any suggestions would be apprieciated
    thanks
    Chet
  • Options
    edited November -1
    until you get NO blue from the barrel,..it is NOT clean. Also,..you need to run a brush religiuosly in the throat area to eliminate powder fouling. Clean it completely until the patches are white when they exit,...then try again.
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Also check action screws for tightness.

Also..the 'muzzle end of the scope' is called the Objective..therefore "AO" means "Adjustable Objective"...or adjustable for paralax and clarity at differing ranges.

The Occular lens is the 'eyepiece'..the part you put your eye next to.
  • Options
    magahgmagahg Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    NOTE TO JustC: Ballistics is spelled with two "L"'s.

Thought you'd like to know.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    oh great,..another spell checker

I needed a new signature anyway.....
  • Options
    ironquackerironquacker Member Posts: 86 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A while back I did some reloading and shootin for a very good friend of mine. I was cutting holes at on hundred yards.I cleaned the rifle(700 Remington BDL 280) before returning it.I thought I should try for group before returning it to him.To My surprise I missed the entire target at one hundred yards.I had to season the barrel all over again.I shot sixty rounds through it cleaning softly after each ten rounds.The groups came back very similar to what they were when I started.At first I was tightening bases and mounts to no avil.Try cleaning and reseasoning the barrel.It worked for me.