In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Load for breaking in a new .45 acp

MatchshotMatchshot Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
I normally shoot 185 - 200 gr. lead SWC.

I have, however, a new .45 and want to break it in right. The instructions suggest 400 - 500 rounds of 230gr. FMJ factory ammo with a cleaning after every 150 rounds. I am going to reload my own, any suggestions on loads? I have Bullseye, WST or Unique powder to use.

Suggested loads?

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello you did not state what brand of 45 or how the barrel looked . I shoot Bulls-Eye and shoot 200 grain lead mostly. You will be able to tell a lot if you shoot 25 or so of your lead loads and then use something like a bore snake or tightly fitting dry patch then take the barrel and look at the bore with a good strong light or outdoors. It will show you if any leading. Remember if a barrel is rough even jacketed bullets will be softer then the barrel and just scrape jacket off and smear allong the bore it will take many rounds to polish the bore with bullets .If the bore shows that it is rough I use JB bore cleaner. "PRAISE THE HARD-BALL GUN"