In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

factory load info

joesjoes Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
Is there a place to find info on different factory powders and grains used in factory loads? thanks,

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    No there is not The factory loads are made to pressure and or FPS. and is loaded with ever changeing "LOTS" of powder The powder used in reloading is "CANISTER" grade . That is one can of BULLS-EYE is very close to one made last year or last month . Even then there are slight differences in each lot of this powder.When you at the MAX load and change lot number of your powder.You SHOULD back off . That is why Target shooters buy large supplies of the same powder / primers / bullets.The other reason you will not be able to find out what powder a company uses is it is a TRADE secret.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Add in the fact that ammo companies buy powder on low bid.
    When the 7mm 08 Remington first came out, one writer pulled down a factory round and found it was loaded with Winchester 748 instead of an IMR as you would have expected while Remington and IMR were both still under the same parent company, DuPont.
    What you buy at cheapmart today might not be the loaded with the same brand of powder next month, never mind lot numbers.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Perry,...Hawk....

What are you saying!!?? This can't be so. The gun writers have given the nod to the factory ammo over reloaded ammo because it's now more accurate (as good as reloads) and there is no way a reloader can duplicate the hot factory loads! LOL

I think you really hit the nail on the head as to why I don't like shooting factory ammo. Now, a changeup to that is Mil-spec. I find that while it isn't as hot as the military says it is it's pretty consistent. It's rare when I chrono a factory load and get what I expect from it out of the rifle I'm shooting. The best performers in that case have been the Hornady Light Mags.

joes,

While you won't usually be able to find the exact powder used in factory loads you can at least find out what type(double or single base) and how much. Pull the bullet and look at the powder. If it is a ball type it is double base. If it looks like tiny little cannisters it's single base. Then weigh it. Compare that weight to various powders of the same type. That will give a you a powder to work with and reduce a bit and work up from that. -good luck