In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Is it worth reloading or not?

PensfanPensfan Member Posts: 171 ✭✭✭
I shoot a couple of times per week, once for "fun" and once at a tactical or bowling pin shoot. On a weekly basis, I blow through the following rounds with the approximate retail cost of ammo followed.

.40 S&W- 100 Rounds (165gr FMJ, $18/100 rounds = $.18/shot)
.357 Magnum - 25 Rounds (142gr FMJ, $12/50 rounds = $.24/shot)
.38 Special - 25 Rounds (130gr FMJ, $10/50 rounds = $.20/shot)

So... looking at getting into reloading from scratch. No equipment, no supplies, no experience. What is the average cost per shot of the reloaded rounds above? And what is the typical start up price for a mid level reloading system?

Thanks!

;)

Comments

• Options
    dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    If you buy in bulk, can be in the 8 cent/round for what you are shooting.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Wow... $.08/shot? That is much better than I thought.

How many times can you reload brass?

What about start up costs though? If we are looking at $500-$600 for start up costs (before brass, powder, bullets, etc) that is going to take awhile before I can recover that cost.

Although, slightly lighter .40 loads for tactical shooting would be nice. As would getting into .45 shooting in the near future.

;)
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pensfan,

+1 on what dcloco said...if you buy in bulk. Since you are shooting on a weekly basis you would be saving about 15 bucks a week. that will pay for a reloading set-up pretty quickly.

I noted too the least expensive I can get .40 cal for is what you quoted. I've seen the better ammo run in the $15 bucks a box (50) range. You could load top quality ammo for about $15-20 a hundred vs. buying it at $30.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hmmm... sounding better each post now. Even the wife said it might make sense.

Now about that start up cost... what are we looking at there?

Thanks again for the great info so far!

;)
  • Options
    dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    Well...that is tough.

#1 - you are reloading for pistol. Somebody will mention a Dillon. I don't think you shoot enough to adjudicate the cost for one.

#2 - if you reload, you WILL shoot more. Guarantee this.

#3 - you need to put a value on your time.

I would recommend a simple single stage to get you started. I would probably go to a gunshow or scout locally to find a used one.

Is anybody else on GunBroker local to you???

Next, option, a 3 hole turret press. Buy an extra head for your 40 cal reloading.

Turret press will allow you to set up the three stages of reloading pistol rounds, but only have to set them up once. Size/deprime, bell, & seat/crimp.

Buy carbide dies, don't bother with anything else for straight wall rounds.
  • Options
    dtknowlesdtknowles Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try to look at it like another hobby only this one does not cost you anything in the long run. Like others said you will shoot more. In the beginning you will have to shoot more to work up the loads you will standardize for later use. Much of your equiptment will be an investment you could recoupe if you ever decided to quit. Look at it as an investment and try to buy low so you can sell high later. You need to buy quality so it will still be valuable later and it will also give you better service. Use the auction sites patiently an you will find a bargin. In the mean time save your brass and collect brass from others, 40 S&W brass is everywhere on the ranges where I shoot.

Numbers/dollars: at your current rate you spend $1500 on ammo a year. Can you stand to shoot lead bullets in the 40 and the 38, this could save you a bunch as well? I cast my own bullets, use free lead and found brass, I shoot for $0.04 cents per round. If you can reload for $0.08 per round it looks like you could spend over $750 on equipment and load development and still break even for the first year

The reloading equipment should be less than $400 dollars even at retail prices

Press, dies, powder measure, scale, books, trimmer, tumbler, etc.

That will leave $350 for load development at $0.08 cents per round that is more than 3500 extra rounds you have available to find the loads you will standardize. 700 five shot groups, maybe you could reduce that by a thounsand rounds and use that dough to get a chronograph.

These are all guestimates but you can see, if you reload you will initially have to shoot more and spend time loading so I would suggest you if you think you might enjoy this don't wait start today, if measuring charges, reading loading manuals and pumping the press sound like work not fun buy your ammo.

Tim
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go with whatever your wife says to do. They are always right. Wives are the smartest people in the world. You can save enough to pick up flowers, Candles and wine on the way home from the gunshop.[}:)]
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    pensfan there is a grafs reloading store right off of fifth street in saint charles go north just pass bass pro as the road turns into one lane it is a small grey building on the left side, parking in the back alley, they carry everything you need, only thing i have found them to be a bit high on projectiles, but powder, and primers are competitive for retail prices, they carry Dillon, lee, and i think rcbs

first thing is to buy a book Lyman makes a great one, as far as you not shooting enough to make up the cost, nether did i, but once i got my press my shooting increased ten fold, for less money, i fortunately have a wholesale outlet my cost on 10,000 round of projo's. powder, and primers is 600 bucks
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, it is worthwhile financially- and it is a good hobby. As far as the cost of equipment- have you checked the auctions on GB and AA for USED equipment??? How often you can reload brass will depend on sizing, and how hot you load them- but figure on 4-5 cycles, and be pleasantly surprised beyond that.
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Look into the Lee presses and kits. Sounds like a perfect match for what you wish to do....A couple hundred dollars will get you a far piece down the road towards a complete basic outfit.

Asumming that you are not shooting a Glock, lead bullets are still rather cheap.
  • Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    pensfan My friend has 2 Dillon presses for sale. a square deal B and a 550. Both set up for 45acp now. I can get u a price if you want.
  • Options
    ftimburgiaftimburgia Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy a dillon square deal B if your not going to reload any rifles. (only my opinion) They have a no B/S warranty and it will last you a lifetime no matter who the owner. I called dillon before I bought mine and they told me. If I found one in the dumpster they would warranty every part. They also have a very good support staff for any questions. I had 4 lee's and had very bad luck with them. Lee support staff did very little to help with any problems. I reload 45 ACP, 45 gap and 9mm. I have had no problems with my dillon at all and have loaded many thousand rounds. Good luck with any machine you decide to buy.

Frank
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcso3009
    pensfan My friend has 2 Dillon presses for sale. a square deal B and a 550. Both set up for 45acp now. I can get u a price if you want.

Yeah... If you could please get the price on the square deal B that would be great.

After picking up a few new weapons this Nov and Christmas around the corner, I am a bit tapped until early January. Unless he comes back with a good deal, then I might be able to swing something in the next couple of weeks.

And then what would it take to get setup with .40?
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you get the Square Deal B - you just need to get the 40 and 38/357 conversion kits from Dillon. The kits come with everything you need to load that cal; Dies, case holding plate, etc. I suggest you buy a Tool Head for each set of dies. You will thank me later.

The 45 ACP used a LARGE PISTOL PRIMER - you need the small Primer kit for the 38/357 (and maybe the 40?). Make sure the seller includes this with the press, if you buy used.

I started reloading with a C-H single stage. I still use it for my rifle cals, but at 3 strokes per loaded cartridge, I figured there had to be a better way.

I have owned a Dillon SDB for about 15 years and reload 38 spl, 357 mag, 45 ACP, 45 Auto Rim (And Dillon doesn't make an Autorim kit - but I did) and 44 Mag.

I bought an additional Powder measure because I load more 38 spl then anything else. This lets me leave one alone for 38 and then use the other for the other cals.

I hope this input helps.
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:The 45 ACP used a LARGE PISTOL PRIMER - you need the small Primer kit for the 38/357 (and maybe the 40?).

yep .40 takes small primers, it was found out the hard way during development that large primers where toughed off by the ejector
  • Options
    ftimburgiaftimburgia Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I paid $225.00 for my dillon. It was used but had been rebuilt by dillon. You can buy a new square deal from dillon for $306.00, go to www.dillon.com

It will tell you everything that comes with the machine or call them and tell them what you want to reload. The number to billon is 800-762-3845.
  • Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pensfan
    Shoot me an e-mial. dcso3009@yahoo.com

I have a price, and list of included items.
  • Options
    edited November -1