In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

wildcat cartridges

Looking for a general census on most popular wildcat cartridges. Any suggestions for a new wildcat cartridge to build and try out.

Comments

• Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not new but would love, and have plans to build a 6.5-284 with about a 28-30" tube. Reserch is never ending, think this project is on the 10 year plan.
  • Options
    blackmesariflecoblackmesarifleco Member Posts: 91 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by FrancF
    Not new but would love, and have plans to build a 6.5-284 with about a 28-30" tube. Reserch is never ending, think this project is on the 10 year plan.
    I didn't have a spec sheet, put it together in my cartridge designer good caliber only about 2.5grains less capacity than 6.5 Rem Mag yet with a .308 or .30-06 base diameter. Thats feasible and looks like there is plenty of load data already available.
  • Options
    dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    Anything would be fun.

At the moment, we are into prairie dog hunting.

Let's see..the rules would be...

1 - same point of aim at 100 yards and 400 yards.

2 - destructive ability at impact.

3 - cheap to reload - $12/100 or less bullets (milsurp pulls would be better)

4 - cases fireformed from Milsurp something (think cheap, again)

On the series side, I would REALLY like a 6.5x55 AI Swede or...a 6.5-06 AI or a 6.5-08 AI or a 6.5 WSM or WSSM.

The SD and BC of the 140 or 142 grain 264 diameter bullets are phenomenal. Just need an action to take advantage of this.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by blackmesarifleco
    I didn't have a spec sheet, put it together in my cartridge designer good caliber only about 2.5grains less capacity than 6.5 Rem Mag yet with a .308 or .30-06 base diameter. Thats feasible and looks like there is plenty of load data already available.

http://www.6mmbr.com/SixFive284.html
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dcloco, let me know when you are ready, I can give you my data on both the 6.5x55AI and the 6.5-06AI.

I would like to see something in the 416rigby dia in .338 bore, but shorter than the 338lapua, with no body taper and a 40* shoulder.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by blackmesarifleco

http://www.6mmbr.com/SixFive284.html
    Thanks for the link. What are you looking for in this rifle to be built? What kind of shooting would it be for (competition or not and at what yards)

To JustC check out this link to see if it is what were looking for.

http://www.angelfire.com/ok5/blackmesaexpress/338-416.html
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yeah, maybe ultramag length or a tad shorter. It takes a very slow powder to get any load density in the RUM. I would like maybe 90-100% density with powders in the Retumbo/US 869 range and the 250-300gr pills.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    JustC

Try the link again as I have modified it and added load data even though the software company seems to be behind on powder data.
  • Options
    darksiderdarksider Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    something close to what you are talking about I have. 2"high at 100, 2 1/2" high at 200, 0.0 at 300. 4 1/2 low at 400 85gr bal. tip at 3900 it's called 25-06 gipson deadly on golphers and does well in the wind
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    emcisemcis Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    .270-08 (6.8x51)
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    emcis,

Welcome to the forums!

This is an older wildcat developed by Richard Beebe in 1979 when he wanted a different short action cartridge for his Rem. M660 which was originally a .243 Win.

Since Richard worked for Redding Reloading Corp. at the time, the cartridge was summarily name the .270 Redding.

Best.