In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Neck turning

hadjiihadjii Member Posts: 976 ✭✭
Is turning necks and flash hole deburring a practical thing to do when loading for hunting? How much improvement could I realistically expect from doing these 2 procedures? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Does turning the necks on my 220,243 and my 300. make them more accurate? Does it improve consistancey. is it worth the money? and how much does a good one cost.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just like to shoot tight groups,so bought a 6ppc bench gun.Problem is need to turn case necks. looking at the Foster but figured I'd get your opinion. Which do you use Thanks, Vernon
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello IMHO unless you are shooting in matches Neck turning and deburring flash hole is a waste of time . I do think trimming cases needs to be at least checked for safety reasons. I believe practice with your rifle shooting it in shooting positions "NOT OFF THE BENCH" will do more for your real life group size of maybe a 1/4 of a inch you will gain by improvements gained by the extra time spent reloading with these 2 steps added.just my $.02 .
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    neck turning is really reserved for tight neck chambers. BR shooters often order a neck dia that requires our brass be trimmed to even fit in the chamber. This is done so that once the necks are fully turned (giving them an exact thickness all the way around) their neck tension will remain very uniform and the brass will be worked very little as it releases the bullet. In an oversized factory chamber, you will most likely not see a large difference if at all.
  • Options
    juddroyjuddroy Member Posts: 204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are only shooting up to 300 yds.which 99% of people do,then I would just weigh cases to within 1-2 grains of each other and call it good.Most wouldn't even bother with that.I'm one of those * people who have to have 1/2 minute groups though,even in my hunting rig.If your necks are are very inconsistent,then so is the rest of the case.Eventually those cases will start to banana shape on you,and throw your concentricity out the door.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hadjii,

Neck turning can be used for hunting cartridges to true up the outside of the necks but it is usually unnecessary. Minimal cleanup of the neck will, as JustC says, create a uniform neck tension and bullet release. Distance being shot has nothing to do with the concept. The point blank benchrest shooters (100. 200, 300 yard) do a full out accurizing of each and every case in order to have the best and most consistant ammunition for competition where targets are measured down to tenths of thousandths.

Deburring the flash hole can be a part of the standard case prep just like trimming the necks for correct case length. The flash hole being cleaned up and round will let the flame from the primer be as consistant in shape cylindrically as possible. That promotes more consistant ignition and therefore burning of the powder column which should allow the shot to be more consistant overall.

It's impossible to state how much effect either of these things will have on your shooting. Run some tests before and after to help you establish your standards.

Best.
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with NOnonsense. Flash hole deburring is an extemely important if not educating activity. The crap you get out of a new case is unbelievable. This job if a little rotten but only has to be done 1 time. You will notice a difference between uniform flasholes and brass used as is. With the proper tool it really isn't that bad of a job either.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
    That's what I am doing this week, I have 100 35 whelon cases to do, I do flash holes and neck turning and triming on all my new brass, It's a one time chore, Dont know ifn it helps or not. But it dont hurt.