In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.223 rem reloading non boat tail

slagmentslagment Member Posts: 117 ✭✭
I ordered some bullets to reload my .223. But i didn't get the boat tail kind...opps. I have the lee deluxe .223 reloading dies, which has the full length sizer, neck sizer, and seating die.

The non boat tail bullets won't stay on the shell when i try to seat it. Is there a rife flaring die or some trick to using non boat tail bullets? thanks

pic of bullet

http://members.cox.net/slagment/224.JPG

Comments

• Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    go to lyman and get an M die, it expands the mouth of the case.
  • Options
    dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    Did you inside and outside chamfer the neck of your resized shell?

Flat base bullets will not rest on a case neck like a boat tail bullet will, but, just hold in place, and run the ram up to seat the bullet.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I didn't chamfer, but it's only once fired brass and it doesn't look like it needed it. I did try holding the bullet until it's in the die. That does work, but does slow me down a bit. I'll just baby the bullets in for the next 500 reloads, then make sure to get boat tail bullets.

Thanks.
  • Options
    juddroyjuddroy Member Posts: 204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just hold the bullet and neck between your thumb and index finger until the bullet starts into the die.I load all my 53 gr. sierra flat base without a hitch.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    whoa, maybe Ill keep having to hold the bullet on the way up. I have to get SP or HP, because the indoor range i go to restricts FMJ. HP or SP boat tail is twice the cost of flat base.
  • Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It helps to always use a deburring/chamfering tool on case necks no matter how many times they've been fired. It will help the bullet seat easier and avoid shaving any bullet jacket off too.
    Just hold the flatbase in place with your fingers until it enters the die and continue to raise the ram slowly until the bullet seats -- No big difference in time.
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As long as the bullet is somewhere on top of the case as it goes into the seater die it will be guided and aligned as it progresses up the die. Chamfer the inside of the case neck well but don't go nuts and get it sharp or thin, just a good clean bevel.I have been loading flat based .223 foe 22 years and have no problems. It is OK if you feel a little resistance as it starts into the case.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Don't forget that a flat base bullet will generally shoot tighter groups up close than a boattail will.
    Flaring the case mouth will only work the brass more than is needed, just put a small bevel on the case neck and seat the bullet slow unless your on a racing schedule...........