In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.357 mag and lil'gun

slagmentslagment Member Posts: 117 ✭✭
Anyone load .357 mag using lil'gun? I was looking though the hodgon data and saw the load for 158gr bullet with 18gr of lil'gun. I have some lil'gun and I was wondering if this load was any fun to shoot.

data
http://www.hodgdon.com/data/pistol/357mag.php

thanks

Comments

• Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In your gun, there's only one way to find out.
    Going down that road soon myself. Love lil'gun in my Hornet; higher velocity, lower pressure. Curious about how it performs in the .357 and .44's.
    Let us know what you learn.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I loaded 50 rnds. It will be a couple weeks before I get time to try it out. Darn school kepts getting in the way of my shooting.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    .357 with 17.7gr lil'gun and a 158gr copper jacket flat point has some kick, and was noticeable louder then .357 loaded with titegroup. I did get some powder residue in the face, but not much. No budge primers and the cases seem to be fine. Don't think I'll be making many more .357 with lil'gun. The whole cylinder was covered in a light layer of powder residue. If you use lil'gun, be prepared to do some cleaning.
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Likely not enough crimp to create the desired back pressure, or perhaps a magnum primer would burn that extra stuff up? I know 'Lil Gun works in all my Hornets like a house afire! I have not bothered to try the powder in any other cartridge as I LOVE the way it works in the Hornet, and am going through a pound of the stuff (I know, even with HORNET cases that hold such a small charge I'm going through it BIG TIME! ) every month. Excellent poeder, and by far the best I have ever used in the Hornet!