In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Carbide dies

mikecarol63mikecarol63 Member Posts: 336 ✭✭✭
Hi; Can anyone tell me if an RCBS carbide die threads fit in a LEE Progressive Press? I'm getting tired of lubing 1 shell at a time and putting it thru the sizing die. If I lube more than 1, and the lube dries before I get it sized, it will stick in the sizing die. Thank you in advance, Mike

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I asked this over on the ATE forum but thought I should ask here instead.

I am rounding up gear to begin reloading. Finally bought a press and will be buying dies soon.

My question is r/t carbide dies. Can those with experience tell the pros and cons of them vs standards dies. I have read where lubricating the case is not necessary if using carbide dies. How large a factor is this and what other differences are there? Do carbide dies make the process faster, easier (by eliminating a step), or in any way help produce better or more uniform loads?

I am new to this so if you have anything to add r/t to this beyond my question please share that as well.

I am aware of the initial cost difference so that is not my question.

Thanks,

Scout
  • Options
    dg101windg101win Member Posts: 751 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes.

quote:Originally posted by mikecarol63
    Hi; Can anyone tell me if an RCBS carbide die threads fit in a LEE Progressive Press? I'm getting tired of lubing 1 shell at a time and putting it thru the sizing die. If I lube more than 1, and the lube dries before I get it sized, it will stick in the sizing die. Thank you in advance, Mike
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What kind of lube are you using?
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Just quit using that stuff and switch over to Imperial sizing die lube and your problem will go away never to return again.....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm using LEE RESIZING LUBRICANT, which I bought from LEE when I bought the Loading outfit. Mike
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Where can I get the Imperial sizing die lube? I live in a small town with a large gun shop, and they don't have it. Mike
  • Options
    scottbscottb Member Posts: 65 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check midway. They carry some imperial lubes. RCBS lube seems to work fine for me.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Sinclair has it all the time, and it's the best ever, period.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Lee lube is good stuff, but messy and slow to apply, and slow to dry. Personally, I use it after it has dried, and it says on the tube, "can be used wet or dry" so I can't imagine why you are having trouble. Too much perhaps?

What caliber is this for? Carbide dies don't need lube, that's true, for straight walled cartridges (though I sometimes spray a little on every 20th case or so for extra slickness). Lee makes carbide dies as well, and while the RCBS dies screw into the lee press fine, my concern is the powder charging- Lee dies use a powder through operation that may or may not be the same on an RCBS.

Other lubes to consider- Hornday One Shot and Dillon's spray lube (lanolin base). I prefer the Hornady as it dries pretty well and doesn't leave an oily residue like the Dillon, that needs to be removed. Imperial is the best for rough resizing, absolutely, but not necessary in most applications.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hi; I'm presently loading .243. I know the tube says can use wet or dry, but if I lube 10 cases, and start sizeing, by the time I get to the 3rd case, the lube is dry, and that is when the cases start sticking. Then I re-apply the lube, and do one case at a time, and it works fine. The steps I take are: Lube, set the bullet, crimp. Then I go on to the next case. I wanted to use the Lee lube, cause when I lube the inside of the neck, it is not supposed to affect the powder. Mike
  • Options
    RossRoss Member Posts: 156 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your very expen$ive .243 carbide die will require lube.
    Straight-walled cases can get by without lube, but the tapered .30 Carbine and 9mm Luger require lube for smooth functioning, rifle cases even more so.
    A carbide expander ball eases things considerably, obviating the need for lube inside the neck, and is available as an aftermarket item. This is from my local baitshop:

HORNADY (RCBS Type) CARBIDE EXPANDER DECAP ASSEMBLIES
    Part # Description Retail
    44692 6mm 27.98

Cheers from Darkest California,
    Ross
  • Options
    edited November -1
    OH SHUCKS!!!!!! I thought I'd be able to get away from the lube part.
    Thanks to you all, and Merry Christmas to you all. Mike