In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Why clean brass?

Can someone answer this for me? What does tumbling your brass do to help in the reloading process, other than making it "look good"?

Reason I ask this is i'm considering getting a tumbler, but I'm not sure i need one. Since I do most of my shooting from a bench, my casings dont fall on the ground and dont get dirty much (if at all). I've reloaded several times now, and while the brass isn't looking factory new, it's still relatively shiny.

Comments

• 7.62x397.62x39 Member Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Takes the dirt off so its easier on the dies and such
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    In terms of accuracy, I seriously doubt it has any effect for anything but the most exacting benchrest rounds.

It does help protect your dies, this is true. However, you can be the judge of this, and if your brass has gotten covered in grit or dirt and you would hesitate to ram it into the die, you can do a decent job of cleaning, but not polishing the brass simply by putting it in a container with some soapy hot water and shaking back and forth a bit. For really stubborn dirt, scrub with a toothbrush. Then rinse and let dry a few days, or throw it in the oven on warm (no higher it can soften the brass) for a few hours.

I did this for years before getting a tumbler and it worked fine, even if my brass was brown, stained, ugly stuff by the end. The tumbler is one of those "nice to have" options, that's all.
  • Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    I've noticed that I can see case-mouth splits better when I tumble my brass.
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    The main reason to clean brass other than what has been mentioned is that every time you pop a primer on one your building up residue inside that case that will eventually build up to the point of reducing the internal volume and changing your loading data. Tumblers use a media that usually has a type of rouge in it and that will also tend to build up.
    If any one doubts this then just section a case that has been fired 5 times with out cleaning, then section one that has been tumbled 5 times and see for your self.....
    The best way to really clean cartridge brass is in a Ultra Sonic because it will clean up the case's down to bare metal each and every time, section one of these and all you will see is a squeaky clean case every time, inside and out........
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1. keep the carbon out of the necks which changes neck tension
    2. inspection for case-head seperations is much easier
    3. uniforms the internal volume
    4. keeps grit from scratching the internal surfaces of the dies
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How much of the media actually gets in and cleans the inside of the case? What I do to clean is give a generous spray of lube on the cases and then let them sit for an hour. That emulsifies the carbon and it comes right off but doesn't shine the brass so much. I then take a nylon brush saturated with the same lube and hit all the necks. I clean the necks then with a q-tip. Takes about 10-15 for 100 cases. the inside of the neck looks a little darker than the outside but not bad. Will the media work better for overall cleaning in that?

As a general statement as to why clean brass? I say it will improve the life of your dies and cases. Carbon is an abrasive that if not removed will take from both die and case. As well, it will distort the case of left on the outside and affect accuracy by applying too much tension or by leaving material in the neck will cause more case stretch and longer life. My opinion is: YES, you should clean brass when reloading. How you do it needs to be effective in all aspects.
  • 7.62x397.62x39 Member Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sandwarrior
    How much of the media actually gets in and cleans the inside of the case? What I do to clean is give a generous spray of lube on the cases and then let them sit for an hour. That emulsifies the carbon and it comes right off but doesn't shine the brass so much. I then take a nylon brush saturated with the same lube and hit all the necks. I clean the necks then with a q-tip. Takes about 10-15 for 100 cases. the inside of the neck looks a little darker than the outside but not bad. Will the media work better for overall cleaning in that?

As a general statement as to why clean brass? I say it will improve the life of your dies and cases. Carbon is an abrasive that if not removed will take from both die and case. As well, it will distort the case of left on the outside and affect accuracy by applying too much tension or by leaving material in the neck will cause more case stretch and longer life. My opinion is: YES, you should clean brass when reloading. How you do it needs to be effective in all aspects.

A tumbler is very very effective...and the case gets completely filled with media
  • SCorversSCorvers Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The same reason you change into clean underwear.[:D]
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,775 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    tumbling before resizing helps protect your sizing die from scratching. tumbling after sizing removes any residual sizing lube and any crud you might have loosened during sizing. a tumbler is a very good investment for any reloader. choose a size that will handle at least twice as many cases as you expect to process in a batch.
  • buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I tumble brass after sizing to be sure all the case lube is removed.
  • Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have always tumbled before and after..
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member