In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

suggested powder for .223

I have Reloder 7 and W748 on hand What others would anyone recommend?

Comments

• Options
    PJPJ Member Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    748 is my powder of choice.
    Pete
  • Options
    rollnblockrollnblock Member Posts: 384 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    lil gun works very well through mine.
  • Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hodgdon Varget loads great in 223 also, and is not temp. sensitive like some powders....................
  • Options
    jimbowbyjimbowby Member Posts: 3,496
    edited November -1
    [8D]--AA2230c--the best--

--[:p][:p]--JIMBO
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    I use WCC 844. Super cheep and gives me good groups. Current going price is $85/8 lb + shipping. If I was a bench rest guy I might go with something comercial. It is good enough to get furry little animals with my Target AR.
  • Options
    PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    H335 works best for my bolt.
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    AA2230 or AA2520 for me.
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 on the WCC844 it is the same as Hodgdon H335 and works great. WCC846 works well and is the same as Hodgdon BLC(2). Hodgdon Benchmark and Varget work as well as IMR4895. I prefer the ball poders in the smaller case as they measure better (H335 & BLC(2))and since you can buy surplus in 8lb containers you can save some money as well.
  • Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    Hi, I'm using 24gr of
    H4895 with a 52 gr sierra
    HPBT Match bullet
    (One of the guys here recomended
    the bullet)
    out of my Rem 700
    PSS and it's very accurate
    at 100yds.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    csjs1194,

My best luck is with AA XMR2015. 24 grs. behind either a 55 gr. or 60 gr. It's fast burning so it can be used cleanly(better than 4895 or Varget) in an AR as well. Work up to those loads as they are about maximum. -good luck
  • Options
    ChetStaffordChetStafford Member Posts: 2,794
    edited November -1
    I guess I should have mentioned the load I am working on right now is a nosler 40gr. ballistic tip
  • Options
    PJPJ Member Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot a 40 grain V-MAX over 28 grains of W748 in my Ruger #1 in 223. Very accurate load.
    Pete
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,790 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In regard to the AA2230, Have you guys found it runs pretty close to the book? I've tried it a few times and it seemed to be pretty hot even at starting load level.
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My loads with AA2230 chrono at 30 to 40 fps faster than book, while this makes your concerns valid, I do not feel this is excessive. I also throw all my loads and they are extremely consistant with this powder.I have not measured and weighed this powder, except for verification, in years.
  • Options
    jimbowbyjimbowby Member Posts: 3,496
    edited November -1
    [8D]With MOST powders, you have to be pretty consistent with your measuring technique--

--With AA2230/AA2230c--YOU HAVE TO BE EXACT and this proves itself in bench shooting consistency--

--just depends on your time involved--well worth it--

--[:D][:D]--JIMBO
  • Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by PJ
    I shoot a 40 grain V-MAX over 28 grains of W748 in my Ruger #1 in 223. Very accurate load.
    Pete

It's a small world. I've found that 27.5 - 28.0grs of W-748 with a 40gr H. V-MAX bullet shoots very well in most 223 Rem. guns.
    The ones I have now group best at 27.8grs with the 40gr V-Max, Winchester Brass & WSR primer.
    Cheap to load and heck on varmits...............