In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

25 wssm reduced load

joesjoes Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
how much of a reduction in felt recoil can I expect if I were to load a 25wssm in a 55 gr. vs the 120 gr. in a win coyote? Is there a powder that you can suggest with the reduced load? please advise. thanks.

Comments

• Options
    joesjoes Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    correction: 75 gr. is what I wanted to load not the 55 gr.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Joes,

I was getting my best groups with the 75 gr. Hornady v-max's. I used 46 grs. of VV N140 to get 3510 out of them. This is not the hottest load but it was certainly accurate. This is a link to Reloaders nest and the load I worked up: http://www.reloadersnest.com/detail.asp?CaliberID=403&BulletWeight=75&LoadID=10536

Of course you can work up something using other powders. I would recommend Hodgdon 4895. It has worked better for me from the -20's all they way up through the 90's in temps. -good luck

Edit:

To answer your question, there was a fair reduction in recoil shooting these. They kicked just a smidge harder than the .223
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    joes,

When both bullets are run with full power loads the reduction will amount to 2 ft./lbs. (13 ft.lbs. to 11 ft.lbs.) By reducing the velocity and thereby the powder weight this can be lowered further. In fact, if you worked up loads using SR-4759(IMR) you can get the recoil down to about 3 ft.lbs. but you will notice a reduction in velocity also from about 3500 FPS. down to about 2800 FPS. The physics that we use to establish these numbers is pretty inflexible.

If you want to play with some loads to see what does what with different combinations of components, use this calculator, it will save some time running the calculations manually:

http://www.huntamerica.com/recoil_calculator/

Best.