In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

40 Caliber lead loads

CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
Debating on whether to just buy jacketed bullets again for reloading or buy a box of lead bullets.

To be shot from a CZ.

Anyone prefer one of the other? What are your favorite loads? Any problems with the lead exposure? I know the whole "Don't eat while you are handling lead, wash your hands afterwards, etc." Stuff. Is that about the only precautions you need to take?
Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.

Comments

• Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I use both. 40s are picky. I have some pistols that do well with lead and some that don't. I load a lot of 180 gr lead with 5.2 gr of 231. I load 180 jacketed with 7.2 gr AA5. I also like 155 jacketed with 8.2 gr of AA5. I have a Star 40 that only likes 135 jacketed. When I get a new 40, I take about 6 different loads and find what it likes.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello I dont know what type of rifleing a CZ has but it is not recommended to use lead in pologon rifleing like some H.K. or Glock.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    Hello I dont know what type of rifleing a CZ has but it is not recommended to use lead in pologon rifleing like some H.K. or Glock.

I had heard that before. I guess I better contact CZ.

Thanks guys.[:)]
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I think that CZ uses conventional rifling. Just look down your barrel. It is easy to tell the difference.
  • Options
    CoochCooch Member Posts: 348 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use lead for the old lady's Baby Eagle. She loves it and the pistol performs very well with 180 gr
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot lead in some of my revolvers but shoot PLATED bullets in most of my autos. I also use some jacketed. Plated bullets are cheaper than jacketed and you don't have to worry about leading. Don't use the copper wash bullets as the coating is to thin, Berry's and Raineer both have good plated bullets. The Raineer restrikes are great if you can find them at a good price.
  • Options
    theboogeymantheboogeyman Member Posts: 783 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Pearyw
    I think that CZ uses conventional rifling. Just look down your barrel. It is easy to tell the difference.

Not to hijack this thread, but how DO you tell the difference? I've been wondering about my PX4, and I can't find information on it anywhere.
  • Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    The biggest problem I have had with the 40 in my 96 is reliable feeding...... until recently. I had a RNFP 41 mag mold hollowpointed and decided to size them down and try them. I now get flawless feeding. Now I just have to see how accurate they are.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I use Berry's right now. Have had really good luck with them. After pricing lead bullets at my local Sportsman's Warehouse - $36/500. I buy 250 Berry's 150gr RS's for 13.99 from Cabela's.

Thanks for the advice though guys.