In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

did a little forensic work on 7.62 nato ammo

MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
I've seen several posts on different lots of Indian 7.62 Nato M-80 ammo. I have several cans of the stuff so thought it worthwhile to investigate. I pulled down some of 3 lots and weighed the powder charges and bullets and none had any sealant around the bullet. The powder weights were fairly close within lots and all appeared the same. The bullets varied as much as 1+/- grain within all samples. The odd thing was the diameter. In front of the crimp groove my best measurement ran .309+ to .310+ with considerable variation- some seemed out of round. Behind the groove some were small enough to enter a freshly sized empty case-about .306. All but a few would hand seat in sized cases. Something hoaky here. Very light bullet pulls.

Comments

• Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    <---Mite be flapping at the gums here. But if I recall some export ammo is required to be demilitarized before export. Depending how many countries it goes threw before it gets here.

Imagine a car getting taken apart and rebuilt every time it get exported
    to another country before it reaches the U.S.A....
  • Options
    Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I did the same thing (some time back) after getting bad results when sighting in a rifle...Out of about 50 rounds taken at random...I discovered the powder weight was right on the money...However I found 4 or 5 bullets were jackets only! and the rest were + - 10gr..! You really do get what you pay for...
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I ran some of the OFV 02 ammo through my Parker Hale barrelled mauser for velocity and group size. I was surprised to say the least as the velocity was within 15 fps +/- and the group size was around 1 1/2" average. My shooting form wasn't up to snuff that day as I had the flu but the groups were uniform and basically triangular in shape (3shots).