In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

FCD and .30-.30

Leghorn88Leghorn88 Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
Hello everyone. I just started reloading last summer, and I have a Lee Classic Cast Turret Press. I've been reloading .45 Colt without a problem, and I've just started reloading .30-.30. I got the Lee Deluxe Die set for .30-.30, with the Factory Crimp Die. My problem is that I can't seem to get it to put a solid enough crimp on the cartridges. I'm shooting the ammo out of a Winchester 94, and when I load a few into the magazine the bullets push back into the case. I've adjusted the FCD to put the maximum crimp on it, but it's not tight enough. Has anyone had a similar problem? Any advice?

Comments

• Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mic the expander ball in the size die (take it apart) maybe it is too big. Should be about .305 -.306 or so. Check the bullets too. maybe you got some skinny ones.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Leghorn88,

Do your bullets have cannelures cut into them? It will look like the 139 SST in the photo below.

6.5bullets.jpg

If your bullets don't have a cannelure, you might consider switching to a bullet that has one. You crimp into the cannelure and it's nearly impossible to get the bullet to move then.

Best.
  • Options
    Leghorn88Leghorn88 Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My bullets do have cannulures, but I think I've solved the problem. I took out the FCD and looked at it. It looked like there was lint or some kind of crud in the slots between the leafs of the collet. So I cleaned it all out good, and my crimps seem solid now. I put 6 rounds into my Win 94 magazine and the bullets didn't push back. I pushed on the bullets with my thumb and they wouldn't budge, so maybe it'll be ok now. Thanks for the help guys!
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Excellent! Have fun shooting!

Best.