In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Thanks MrBruce...22K Hornet success

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
Thanks to the helpful advice of MrBruce I was able to cut a .22 Hornet chamber into a .22 K Hornet [:D]. It was my first chamber cut and came out perfect [:)][8D][:0].

My firing of some .22 hornets to form the shoulder was a success. The brass is smooth with no tool marks [8D].

Now; Does anybody have some good loads for the K Hornet using 40 grain bullets? [:I]

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello I am glad everytime came out well I have a 1951 BRNO in 22 KHORNET one of my favorites . I only have 2 loads for the 40 Grain . 12 graines of 2400 for 3100 FPS and 13 grains of 4227 for 3100 fps like all loads this is my rifle yours may vary. and there are many new powders on the market that I have not tried I bought lots of powder years ago when there was a rash of gun shops going out of business includeing 600 pounds of 4831 in 100 pound drums at $55.00 per 100 pound drum. I still have SOME left you could look at powder burn rate and for the most part anything slower the 4227 would be hard to overload because of the small size of case. I like to load a powder that fills the case to the base of the neck . Your mileage may vary. The 2 loads. I gave you are in IDEAL NUMBER 35 hand book Cheers Karl
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Happy New Year Karl,
    Thanks, I purchased a 1 pounder canister of 4227. It seems to be listed a lot in the Hornet manuals. I'll post the results.
  • Options
    dtknowlesdtknowles Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I made a spread sheet for all the .22 Hornet loads I could find. If you can deal with MS Excel I could e-mail it to you.

These are a couple of the max. IMR 4227 loads from the spread sheet.

Sierra JSP 40 gr. IMR4227 11.7 gr. 2,777 fps 26" bbl Lyman 46th ed.

Speer SP 40 gr. IMR4227 11.7 gr. 2,777 fps 26" bbl Lyman 45th ed.

I would bet that LIL GUN would be an outstanding powder in the K- Hornet. When I sort the spread sheet LIL GUN powder produces as high or higher velocity than IMR 4227 with low pressures. The lower pressures are because with the lighter bullets you can't put enough LIL GUN in the standard .22 Hornet case to produce high pressures but the velocities are still up there with the best. I am still using IMR4227 in my Ruger #3 but plan to switch to LIL GUN.

I actually shoot as many cast lead bullets in my .22 Hornet at .22 WCF velocity as jacketed bullets. A small charge of Unique does not feel as lost in the .22 Hornet case as it might in a much bigger case.

Tim
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello Bpost my favorite bullet is the Nosler 45 grain BOAT TAIL I like the boat tail because the case wall thickness is so thin and the case so small it is hard to load in the seating die without screwing up the case mouth. Another thing I have found is my loads shoot much smaller groups with small pistol primers . My Idea is the bolt and firing pin spring is smaller weaker on a hornet bolt then on rifles like say one chambered for 22-250 or in AR type rifles and the small rifle primers are very hard . while the small pistol primer has a lighter cup. as always your mileage may vary. have I told you I love West by god Virginia's roads in my BMW-M3 Cheers Karl.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's an enthusiastic second to Perryshooters comment on small pistol primers. In addition to the noted factors of cup thickness and firing pin spring strength may be that more "pop" than necessary may be counterproductive in the small Hornet case.