In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Sako 75 in a 260

clickclick Member Posts: 107 ✭✭
I've got a Mod.75 on hold at the local gun shop in a 260 Rem. caliber.. any opinions on to its worthiness as basically a deer gun in my state of Minn??

Comments

• Options
    laogailaogai Member Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    it'll be just fine, virtually ideal: enough bullet and velocity without much recoil, and likely to be very accurate. i hunt big deer as well--kansas and nebraska--and though i use a 270 i'd be just as well-off with a 260. gunwriter jon sundra lists it as as his #1 favorite whitetail cartridge, though probably part of the reason is that he helped develop it. if you reload i suggest trying out several premium bullets (hornady interbond, hornady SST, swift scirocco, nosler accubond, nosler partition) to see which bullet/weight/powder shoots best in your rifle.

as a veteran deer hunter once told me: "it's where ya hit 'em, not what ya hit 'em with!" 260 is plenty; heck, virtually identical 6.5x55 is used regularly on moose in scandinavia!

you'll be very happy with your rifle. get a good scope with not-too-great magnification, like 1.5-6X, emphasizing eye relief, clarity, field-of-view, and brightness. hope you shoot one of those minnesota monsters!
  • Options
    clickclick Member Posts: 107 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    hey.. thanks for the reply.. and yes, we do have some big-uns up here.. i measured a rack for a friend of mine last week that his father in law shot.. grossed about 175 or so.. and you better have a deer weight in the 225-275 class if u are gonna enter most local big deer contests....
  • Options
    TeamblueTeamblue Member Posts: 782 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The .260 has become my favorite caliber. I have it in the Rem 700 LSS Mountain Rifle and have taken several Whitetails with it now.

I have loaded both the Hornady 129 Spire Point and the Speer 120 Hot Cor Spitzer and they both work fantastic! I also load the 95 grain hornady V-Max for Coyotes and it shoots very well.

The .260 has exceptional ballistics that allow it to perform "above it's pay grade". For example the 6.5 (.264) 120 grain spitzer has the same sectional density (.248) as the 7.62 (.308) 165 grain spitzer bullets! This lends to very good penetration. With a well constructed premium bullet of 140 grains I would not feel undergunned going after Elk with the .260. Some here will scoff but as previously mentioned the 6.5 has probably taken as many Moose as any caliber.

In short I find it an ideal combination of a flat shooting, hard hitting, low recoil, short action sweetheart. I fact I just bought a Ruger M77 compact in .260 for my son's first bolt action deer rifle!

Tb
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    click,

The .260 Rem will work outstanding. With a combination of great ballistics and a number of good bullets to choose from, combined with better velocities than older mid sized cartridges. It should be just the ticket for shooting 40 yds. 'just out of the woods' deer. or 400 yd. 'across the field' deer. -good luck

And, by the way, sako is excellent as a rifle!