In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

RCBS Powder Measure

mikecarol63mikecarol63 Member Posts: 336 ✭✭✭
Hi; I'm realitively new to hand loading, and use the powder measuring beam scale. How does the RCBS powder measure compare in accuracy to the scale? Tell you why I'm leary. The LEE powder dipper is suppused to be pretty accurate, but I was getting VERY hot loads with the recommended dipper. I was to be using 31 gr of H4895 with the dipper, and when I saw the HOT loads I was shooting, I measured the powder in the dipper on my beam scale, and it was actually 39 gr. So I am skepticle about anything other than the scale. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance, Mike

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello most powder measures are adjustable some have fixed bushings and Disk. but no matter what you have it is allways best to check with a scale and also good to check your scale with known test weights.
  • Options
    MosinNagantDiscipleMosinNagantDisciple Member Posts: 2,612
    edited November -1
    I just finished loading a couple dozen rifle cartridges using my new RCBS powder measure (like you i was using a beam scale previously). From what I saw, the powder measure will throw fairly consistent charges, with a small variance of perhaps 0.05 to 0.1 grains. Not enough to concern me. I should also mention that I was using stick-type powder (as opposed to ball or flake). An unavoidable consequence of using stick-type powder with a powder measure is that you'll get some shearing of the grains as the measuring drum rotates.
  • Options
    MosinNagantDiscipleMosinNagantDisciple Member Posts: 2,612
    edited November -1
    After re-reading your post I realized I didn't completely answer your question.

Unlike LEE powder dippers, the RCBS does not come with any pre-set settings. You have to manually adjust the measuring drum (for lack of a better term) and check the charge being thrown using a beam scale. Once the powder measure is throwing the charge you want, you simply screw a bushing in and the charge is set. After that, it will continue throwing the same charge with perhaps a slight variance depending on the powder you choose, as I mentioned above.

I am also a newbie to reloading, but I highly recommend you get the powder measure. It is SO less tedious than using the beam scale. Just remember to keep the beam scale, as you cannot adjust the powder measure without it.
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know this sounds like a cop out but... a powder measure dosen't measure anything.That is the way it was explained to me 35 years ago and if you think about it, it really is true. Some powders that meter very well, like most of the flattened ball powders or ball, will be consistant to the 1/10 th of a grain, while extruded powders (stick type IMR) wont meter worth a damm and require a trickler to get them right on. In short, get a measure but check it against a good scale.I havent weighed a .223 load in 8 years or so except to confirm the weight every 100 rounds. AA2230 is that consistant through an RCBS Uniflow. AA2520 is like that also.Benchrest shooters do not weigh the charges they shoot because weight is dependent on humidity. A set measure will throw the same VOLUME of powder every time,every day. My 2c.
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    One thing I have done for years to make a powder measure more consistant is to put a weight on top of the powder in the measure. This helps with the variations that you get from a full to nearly empty powder column. I use a small glass jar that just fit the measure with a metal top that I can pull out with a magnet. Usually about 1/2 pound will do it.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    RCBS=VG with ball powders, down to .1 accuracy.
    Lee=VG with stick powders, no binding or shearing. Accurate to .4 gr.

So I have both.
  • Options
    mikecarol63mikecarol63 Member Posts: 336 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What is the difference between ball and stick powder? I use h4895, but the container doesn't say if it is ball or stick. I thought it was all the same, except for flake. Mike
  • Options
    dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    H4895 or I4895 is stick powder.

My RCBS Uniflow will throw ball powders to the exact weight. I did buy the micrometer adjuster though.
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In any reloading book there are pictures of powders or at least descriptions. the 4 major groups are--Ball, flattened ball, extruded (stick) and cut flake, with very slight variations within the general group.Any powder that is labeled IMR is a DuPont
    Improved Military Rifle and will be extruded. These generally do not meter very well with the exception of the newer SHORT CUT variation which goes thru with some consistency.